Logic Users Group Logic EXS24 Instruments & Samples, Combo Remapper - Keywswitch Articulations via score symbols
Go Back   Logic Users Group > Apple Logic Discussions > Logic Wishlist

Logic Wishlist Discuss Logic Audio improvements and adding new features.

Old 8th April 2012, 11:58 PM   #1
CSeye

CSeye is on a distinguished road
Default Teaser of things to come?

I've seen this mentioned in a couple of thread out there on the wild web. But sure enough, a new menu item is available in v9.1.7 in the Arrange>View local menu>HyperDraw>Articulation ID

At this point, it disappears when a region is created.

Commentary Logic 9.x does everything I need it to except for providing talent and inspired recordings. But seriously, it's at a stable, mature stage of development. There's plenty of wish list items, but no real gripes.

Having said that, it's really interesting that Steinberg seems to be the only DAW maker at this time that's pushing continued development of MIDI functionality with it's VST Expression, Note Expression, etc. Reaper, Studio One, etc seem to have very good audio editing functions but weak MIDI. If I only did audio or mostly audio projects I'd still be using DP (started with v4.5).

I really appreciate the MIDI tools and editors available in Logic, but VST Expression is an exciting frontier. As an old Cubase VST 32 user back in the day it's been kinda fun to work through various video tutorials for Cubase 6. Sort of like hedging my DAW options just in case...

It was be crazy good if the next major Logic upgrade were to also expand MIDI functionality by including some sort of articulation/note expression functionality to complement the Score editor.

So maybe this teaser menu item in v9.1.7 is a sign of things to come...
Attached Images
File Type: png artic ID.png (37.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 9th April 2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Eli

Eli is on a distinguished road

This is PURE SPECULATION, but my guess would be that maybe this has to do with some sort of direct support of one or more third party developers. Like maybe VSL or PLAY? Maybe it's something designed to access features on those plug-ins. It wouldn't be the first time in Logic's history that they made an effort to support some sort of third party developer directly from within Logic.
Eli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 04:03 AM   #3
CSeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
This is PURE SPECULATION, but my guess would be that maybe this has to do with some sort of direct support of one or more third party developers. Like maybe VSL or PLAY? Maybe it's something designed to access features on those plug-ins. It wouldn't be the first time in Logic's history that they made an effort to support some sort of third party developer directly from within Logic.

It's definitely a wait and see situation.

At this point, the suspense is starting to intensify...
Old 9th April 2012, 11:12 PM   #4
CSeye

I just checked the Steinberg site: Chris Hein Instruments, and VSL provide VST Expression Maps.

My GPO4 also comes with expression maps.

Nothing to do but wait and see what Articulation ID is all about.
Old 21st April 2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar is on a distinguished road

I just noticed this thread (I may be slow, but I'm expensive...) and checked out the menu item. The one project I opened to test had a wee bit more info (see attached image).

I've given up speculation about anything Apple, but if they do add this to 9.x or in the next major release, it could be a useful feature.

Cubase definitely has some MIDI related features that could inspire the Logic guys......
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 11.00.18 AM.png (12.4 KB, 40 views)

Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Westmere, 16 GB RAM, 10.8.5, Logic 10.0.6, MainStage 3.0.2, Apogee Ensemble
MPB Retina Display, 2.8 i7, 16 GB RAM, 10.9, Logic 10.0.6, MS 3.0.2, Avid Mbox and GiO

Logic and MainStage tutorials
Personal site
Doug Zangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:51 AM   #6
CSeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Zangar View Post
I just noticed this thread (I may be slow, but I'm expensive...) and checked out the menu item. The one project I opened to test had a wee bit more info (see attached image).
Perhaps you get more of a teaser from Apple because of your status as a Logic educator.

But on this end, things are getting kinda spooky. I revisited the Arrange>View local menu only to see that the Articulation ID item was no longer within the Hyperdraw submenu

On a whim, I entered articulation into the Key Commands search box. (see attached image). It must have been there all along (or was it???) but I didn't think to check previously.

Looked but couldn't find it in the Event window. But when I went back to the Arrange>View, the item was again in the HyperDraw submenu. (Theremin volume swell fades in... )

Next, opened a recent project, but the item was not in the View>HyperDraw? It does consistently appear in the Key Commands>Event window.

Quote:
I've given up speculation about anything Apple, but if they do add this to 9.x or in the next major release, it could be a useful feature.
Maybe Apple is being playful given the speculation surrounding the next upgrade.

Quote:
Cubase definitely has some MIDI related features that could inspire the Logic guys......
Competition is good for end users. Hopefully Apple is taking note of Expression maps and such.
Attached Images
File Type: png Artic ID.png (44.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Doug Zangar

Now you got me looking into this.... So I assigned a key command to the Articulation ID and it does show up in the event list (see image). Number range is 0 - 254.

The "now you see it now you don't" in Hyperdraw seems to be a function of if a project is just opened, or a new region is created. Haven't spent a lot of time on this, but it seems to hide itself once the region has some activity on it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-04-22 at 1.25.02 AM.png (10.6 KB, 17 views)

Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Westmere, 16 GB RAM, 10.8.5, Logic 10.0.6, MainStage 3.0.2, Apogee Ensemble
MPB Retina Display, 2.8 i7, 16 GB RAM, 10.9, Logic 10.0.6, MS 3.0.2, Avid Mbox and GiO

Personal site
Old 22nd April 2012, 03:07 PM   #8
CSeye

Yes indeed! The ID column appears in the Even List when using a key command. 0-254 here as well.

Regarding HyperDraw, you're right. Arctic ID is present when opening a new empty project.
Old 22nd April 2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Doug Zangar

Ok - I guess that means we're all set for implementation. Depending on how long Apple takes, I might have to review this thread to remember what we figured out....

Personal site
Old 19th May 2012, 06:40 AM   #10
Atlas

Atlas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSeye View Post

It was be crazy good if the next major Logic upgrade were to also expand MIDI functionality by including some sort of articulation/note expression functionality to complement the Score editor.
Isntit just "MIDI meaning" of the score articulations, which was already implemented in Logic? In fact this feature is dated since (former) Notator when it was running on the Atari, decades ago!

Last edited by Atlas; 19th May 2012 at 06:51 AM.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote