Logic Users Group Logic EXS24 Instruments & Samples, Combo Remapper - Keywswitch Articulations via score symbols
Go Back   Logic Users Group > Apple Logic Discussions > Logic 9

Logic 9 Ask about general use of Logic Pro and Express 9

Old 17th January 2013, 09:49 PM   #1
David Rieuwerts

David Rieuwerts is on a distinguished road
Default Keyboard won't play as External Instrument

Hi,
I have just started using Logic (Express 9). I am currently using the sounds which came with the software but I cannot get my midi keyboard to play at all or show up as an external midi instrument. My keybboard is a Korg X5.
Is this something to do with me not having installed the drivers and if so how do I go about installing them? Could there be another reason for this problem?

I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.
David Rieuwerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 10:18 PM   #2
georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to georgelegeriii Send a message via Skype™ to georgelegeriii

OK , here we go:

1) Do you have both audio and midi cables connected between your keyboard and your computer, midi require some kind of midi interface (unless the Korg has a USB port with driver software, which in this case should be installed and working)? That would mean your Korgs audio outs are connected to your audio interface audio inputs from the Korgs audio outputs.

2) If you press on your keyboard, do you see notes in Logic's midi monitor located on the transport bar?

Answer these and we can carry on to the next steps....

www.georgetechguru.com
Available for private Logic lessons or online tech support.
georgelegeriii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Atlas

Atlas is on a distinguished road

The Korg X5 is vintage keyboard. You will definitely need at least a MIDI interface. If you don't intend to use any other MIDI gear in your setup, a single MIDI port interface could suffice. With that alone could allow you to use your X5 to play/record native Logic's virtual synths and/or playback your X5 from recorded MIDI tracks.
If you intend to record sound from your X5 into Logic, you will additionally need an audio interface. According to the user manual, the Host port on your X5 is a Korg proprietary one requiring a special cable, which could only hook up with a PC, an old one running Windows MME or 3.1(!) So no luck with Mac here (or is it?)...
Depending of the sound quality of your X5 vs what is already available in Logic and your commitment to making music with computer, investing in an audio card could be unavoidable... Price range for a potable sound card (audio interface) here is in a totally different ball park!
AAS,NI,Melodyne,MIDIQuest,etc
PC,iPad3(V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL),Several vintage gear
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 09:42 PM   #4
David Rieuwerts

George, thanks for your response it is much appreciated. My midi and audio cables are plugged into the back of a Focusrite audio interface.
Yes, when I tap the keyboard the transport bar undicates the note(s) being played.
I can play the sounds which came with Logic Express through the Korg with no problem so the set up appears to be ok, I just can't play its own sounds into the sequencer. There is no sign of my Korg as an instrument within Logic.
Old 18th January 2013, 09:49 PM   #5
David Rieuwerts

Hi thanks! I just posted a reply to George before I saw your piece. Yes I guess the Korg is a vintage. I used it on my old PC and it does have some nice (vintage?!) sounds but obviously the world moves on and I have now moved to a Mac.
Old 18th January 2013, 09:57 PM   #6
georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to georgelegeriii Send a message via Skype™ to georgelegeriii

OK... in Logic, you have to make a midi object in the environment for starters.

Press command 8 and select "Midi Instrument" layer. Delete the GM Device. Now in the new menu select "Instrument". Rename it "Korg". This creates a new midi object, part of what we need to make this work. Under "Port" select the Focusrite, and leave the midi channel set to 1.

Now we have the first part done.

Second: We need to set audio up to work from the Korg. Since you don't mention which Focusrite interface you have, I am going to tell you what to do for the time being. Take the audio output from the Korg and put it into inputs 1 and 2 on the Focusrite interface.

In Logic, in the environment, select the "mixer" page. Now, select "Channel strip > input". This makes a new input for your Korgs audio to get into Logic. Press on the "O" box on the bottom of the new channel so it becomes stereo, and then select "Stereo Output" from the popup list of output selections.

Press on your korg keyboard. You should no here sound from it.

Let me know if this works, then we can go on to the next step.

www.georgetechguru.com
Available for private Logic lessons or online tech support.
georgelegeriii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Atlas

Atlas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rieuwerts View Post
George, thanks for your response it is much appreciated. My midi and audio cables are plugged into the back of a Focusrite audio interface.
Yes, when I tap the keyboard the transport bar undicates the note(s) being played.
I can play the sounds which came with Logic Express through the Korg with no problem so the set up appears to be ok, I just can't play its own sounds into the sequencer. There is no sign of my Korg as an instrument within Logic.
To setup your audio read this section
Taking for granted that you have installed the eventual drivers for the Focusrite audio card, go in Logic Audio Preference Window and select your Focusrite as the audio Input Device.
AAS,NI,Melodyne,MIDIQuest,etc
PC,iPad3(V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL),Several vintage gear
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote