Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 1st time mac user looking for best mac for logic

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by iamdave, Feb 26, 2013.

1. iamdave

iamdave New Member

I've been a long time pc user and a long time cakewalk sonar user. Maybe 15 years or more on cakewalk way back deep into it's "pro audio" days.

I use vst plug in's and I'm tired of my pc freezing, needing a re-boot etc. Lately I have something messed up as it's becoming a nightmare. Bought many pc's in fact this last one was custom built to sonar's ultimate specs. Anyhow...

Leaving the pc world.

Question is using Logic pro 9 and of course any upcoming versions what do I need in a mac to use it? Not just adequately but without issues. On mac they have a "minimum" system requirement but I don't want to barely get a long.

I use 2 - 4 vst tracks and roughly 6 - 10 audio tracks in a song. I like using toontracks superior drummer for drums and I like using a vst for piano, organ and sometimes brass.

Would any imac be more than sufficient for quite some time? Would I need to bump up to a mac pro and if not would a mac pro be of any better solution?

I will use this computer 99% for recording music. Personal music I write and play out.

I also assume my roland quad capture will be able to continue as my audio and midi interface, is that correct?

Lastly, if I get a mac pro, am I able to use my new monitor I got for my pc?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Dave Byers
  3. Russ FAR

Russ FAR New Member

Welcome to MAC

You will NOT believe the difference in workflow with the mac. Before I switched I just assumed that everyones wasted tons of time on latency setup, drivers etc. I also assumed everyone had dropouts and pop and click issues until they food the "sweet spot" between motherboard, harddrive, and audio card.
    Boy was I wrong! I have a 2011 IiMAc that runs like a champ and a macbook pro from 2009. 2.26 processor and 8gigs RAM. The iMAc is way bigger and I use the MBP for remote recording projects and when I am in hotels.
    I use a persons firestudio and a digi 002. The persons works flawless no crazy setup with drivers or anything. Runs like a raped ape. The 002 is a little sketchy. If I leave Logic for any reason (go yo itunes or safari) I have to restart logic for it to recognize the 002, not a system restart, just logic. I assume your roland will do fine, in my experience, everything works with mac. My experience has been nothing but great here. I have never experienced a drop out except once with the 002 with 90 total tracks.
    For the amount of tracks you specified you would be fine with a macbook pro. I use mine more than the iMAc and though its smaller you do not feel much difference if any. I run a 24 track template that I setup in logic, not including software tracks! I do not use a lot of plugins (maybe 4 per channel). I use a rackmount unit (MX200) to handle my reverb load. Lexicon doesn't work great with the Lion I have heard but I still use snow leopard because, like I said it runs like a dream and I don't want to risk anything. Sorry to ramble, hope something helped
  4. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior member

Any of the Mac models will run Logic.

Get the most machine you can for your budget, I suggest at least a quad i7 CPU.

Rumors are that there will be a newly designed pro machine in the Spring, when new server type CPUs arrive.

Currently Mac pro's are based on the previous chip set, and Xeon CPUs.
    They don't have USB3 or Thunderbolt.

Get one only if you NEED PCIe slots, Thunderbolt brings PCIe outside of the box.

Here is a thread from gearslutz that uses Logic as a stress test to compare different Mac models. New models are in the more recent threads.

5. rzzz

rzzz Member

The trick with Macs is to get lots of RAM, at least 8 GB, so that you can run at 64 bit. Then any mac will meet your stated requirements. For example I too use a 2011 iMac i7 16 GB RAM and it does the job easily with over 50 tracks (mix of audio and virtual instruments), except for the occasional nonsense 'your out of memory' or 'disc too slow' message, which I just dismiss and carry on as before. Note that Logic plugins are AU not VST.
  6. iamdave

iamdave New Member

Thanks folks,

What about interfaces? I used some m-audio before and moved up to a roland quad capture. It seems nice. It's a usb interface. Will that continue to work for a audio/midi interface?

7. iamdave

iamdave New Member

so this should be fine then right?

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB

1TB Fusion Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB GDDR5
  8. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

If you can buy the new 27 inch iMac and upgrade the CPU, get the ram you are suggesting, and a thunderbolt hard drive and audio, you are running a system that, with Logic, should be incredibly powerful, and definitely capable of giving you a state of the art studio.

If I had the cash, that would be my very purchase, with a UA Apollo audio interface, with a quad UAD 2 built in.

Please let us know what you final purchase is... lucky bugger ;-)