Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 major BIGGIES

Discussion in 'Logic Wishlist' started by FUBARd, Jan 6, 2012.

1. FUBARd

FUBARd Member

first and foremost I think logic should integrate a cell based loop recording grid capability like in live. live is taking a lot of customers because of its intuitively remixable nature due to this. if logic had something like this, ppl would flock because logic plays nice w outboard gear where ableton blows at midi.:D

second, the HIGHLY annoying crapping out of all sound when record arming audio tracks and hitting the record button. cummon guys, youre APPLE, you can do better than this. for shame. :brkwl:

just my humble lil opinion.
  3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Can you please provide details? If you aren't sure what to write, please refer to this.

Also, it would be better to discuss one issue per thread here in the wishlist.

kind regards

4. FUBARd

FUBARd Member

1. done
    2. audio cuts out when I either record arm an audio track or hit the record button.
    3.done, every time.
    4. audio cuts out.
    5. it doesnt happen when recording an external midi or soft synth track.
    6. everyone i know who uses logic has a similar issue.
    7.mac pro nehalem 8 core w 14 gigs ram, osx 10.6.8, no 3rd party software it even happens w just ultrabeat going and a single audio track being armed, logic 9.1.6, GeForce120(x2) although it really doesnt matter cause it happened in logic 8 w my g5 too.
    8. see #3
    9. no computer crash, just a ton of missed takes. that half second of silence really kills the groove.

it really is quite common.

did I mention a loop based sequencing option? all the new daws are doing it... its really quite inspiring.
  5. FUBARd

FUBARd Member

apparently i enjoy the word really.
  6. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

What does this mean?

BTW I cannot reproduce this problem, nor have I come across it on other systems or heard of other people having the problem.
  7. Eli

Eli Senior member

It sounds to me like you need to enable punch on the fly. It's not common practice to record arm a track in Logic while it is playing unless you are wanting to punch in on an already existing track, on over or after an existing region.

If this is the workflow you are looking for (wanting to jump in and out of record while the transport is playing), enable punch on the fly. That way you will be able to drop in and out of record while the transport is playing with no pauses or hesitations or hiccups. Basically, you record arm the track before starting playback; and then just jump in to record mode when you are ready.
  8. FUBARd

FUBARd Member

pete, i mean the audio drops out every time i try arming or punching in or out on an audio track. so youre telling me you can punch in and out without even a half second break in the playback audio? youtube or it didnt happen. ;) i really hope its not the rosetta... i could really use some help w that if what you say is true. its plagued me for yrs!

eli, i tried that and it works like a dream if im recording one long track but for the way i make music, i record a single groove, phrase by phrase, track by track like with an mpc. (sorry, i know its getting old) the problem w punch on the fly is that when engaged, it wont let me disarm and arm another on the fly. this undermines the fashion in which my inspirational phase works. this brings back my begging logic to focus on the inspirational 'groove' quality as they already have what seems to be the hard part down solid (being good synch and outboard gear implementation) now if it could be a lil less linear...

this is not a complaint, but a suggestion. its the direction all daw are going so lets keep up! i love logic and will continue to support it. i just think if they focused a little more on 'groove' (sorry about the stupid word) theyd wrangle back a huge portion of the market. a lil seed of thought.

when i get back from vacation, (in a week or so) i'll be on here trying to unscrew my audio recording. that is, if you guys are still willing to help after the probably useless lecture.

thanks for listening!
  9. Eli

Eli Senior member

If I understand you correctly, your situation is this: You keep mentioning audio tracks so I have to assume you are talking about audio inputs and not software instruments. You have several devices or instruments plugged in to discreet audio inputs of your audio interface. You want to start Logic's transport playing, and be able to switch from device to device and enter parts freely on any of them at any time. Do I have it right?

If that's the case, why not just record enable all of your audio tracks and keep them all recording right from the beginning. That way you're covered. anything you play on any of your devices or keyboards will be captured. No need to enable anything on the fly. Yes, there will be lots of blank spaces in the audio files. But so what; you should be able to freely record from an device at any time.

Doe this sound right?
  10. FUBARd

FUBARd Member

Yeh thats getting there. Youre right, midi and software synths are working flawlessly. Thats where logic is so amazingly strong. Midi synch and sysex; everything is stunningly solid. My issue is when layering audio. Id like to be able to continuously layer audio when cycle recording. If i did layering the way you describe i feel like i would possibly be restricted to hearing a number of recorded tracks equal only to how many inputs ive got and i need far more than that. Its like im trying to use logic as a looper where one can continuously layer up single little tracks into a full arrangement. Thats what im saying others do so well that i cant seem to get right in logic. I like your suggestion, its definately the best idea ive heard. I just feel like with as many bad takes as it takes me to get one good one, i'd fill my HD in just a few days. I should get some lessons lol! Eli, do you ever have the half second audio cut when arming n punching? I really do hope its just me.
  11. Eli

Eli Senior member

I guess I'm a little confused. I'm not really familiar with the process of using a "looper". But if I understand correctly, how can you be record arming and recording audio tracks on the fly without being tied to the number of physical inputs you have? Unless you are pulling out cables from one outboard device and plugging it in to another while Logic is playing - which I am sure you are not doing :) Is it that you just need more tracks per physical input in your arrangement? That's easy enough to do.

No, I don't have that problem. Because I record arm the track before starting the transport. Then while it is playing, I can seamlessly drop in and out of record mode when punch on the fly is enabled. But you have to have the track armed in advance of hitting play.
  12. FUBARd

FUBARd Member

Well, say you have a mixer and some fx, you could play your bass synth on one take, play your guitar in the next, then use the guitar w some fx or a lead synth for some unique fill sounds n stuff. Electronic musicians like me are all about the layering. Most guys make loops, hits n phrases in advance, then use vst's to mold n arrange tracks but i'd really like to be able to do it all on the fly if not be able to futz w said phrases during nonlinear playback. Imagine a multitrack recorder in cycle mode that plays back inloop mode what you just recorded and allows you to keep recording more layers till youre satisfied w diferent legnths n never progresses untill you go into arrangement mode n can draw out said phrases on a liner scale as you would loops. Thats where ableton shines. Its only too bad about the midi flaws. Or so ive heard from some close friends who use it on PC. After some recent research, ive found that live actually plays quite nice w logic in a mac. I might just hae to try using logic for midi and soft synths w ableton for the realtime audio looping. Apparently its jus a keycommand to export phrases from one into the other. While it would be amazing if i could just do it all in logic, I'd def settle for running both together if the synch was solid. Perhaps i can indeed have my cake and snort it too ;) i'll post here, weather i have luck w it since i started this thread asking for such features. Thanks for all the help especially eli, you guys are an unmeasurable asset to the music comunity. Especialy w apples customer support, lol! Thanks guys :)
  13. hsdrecording

hsdrecording Member

I have a similar problem. But not always, only sometimes.... assuming i understand FUBARds problem correctly. I arm a track (audio) hit play, when i punch... SILENCE!!! then i have to stop and look like an idiot in front of the client. 2nd time around, always works fine. i have some other weird things that always happen, but not sure if i should really start a new thread for everyone of them.

oh wait, theres a 2nd page.... ok, maybe not the same problem, but a problem none the less.
  14. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Yes, start a new topic for each question, unless you suspect they are part of the same problem.