Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Mac Pro with Mac Logic Pro X

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by Tux, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Tux

Tux Member

Hi,

I’m going to get a new mac pro to run logic pro X with EWQL platinum SOrch, SChoir, Hollywood brass, VSL Spec Ed Vol 1 and 1 plus as well as the Sonokinetic Orch line.
    The aim is to create convincing mockups of orchestral, 33 parts concert band and (17-20 piece jazz orch).
    I’ve been googling the new mac pro reviews but can’t find any info on the best setup with logic pro X.
    I have a mac pro tower early 2008 2 x 2.8 quad core intel and could get an SSD to speed it up if I can use it in a system.
    Will I need to reregister all my software if I switch to the newer mac?
    Anyone know where to look for this kind of info?

Thans,
    Tux

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hey Tux,

I'm in pretty much the same boat. I've got a 2008 tower that I am about to replace in a month or so, and have a ton of software authorizations to manage.

The answer to your question is, there is no one single answer. I gotta's say that, despite the well known complaints about using iLoks for authorization, this is the scenario where it really pays off. I am hoping that for iLok authorized software, it'll simply be a mater of plugging the iLok into the new computer, and that's it.

Other apps may be more complicated. Does anyone know if Native Instruments and Spectrasonics software has to specifically be de-authorized before moving to a new machine.

4. Tux

Tux Member

Eli,

Still in the research phase of getting a 2013 mac pro. Will forward my progress as it happens.

Tux

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Same here, still researching. I'm thinking a top of the line iMac at this point.Too bad the Mac Mini's have been "crippled" and no longer ship with any i7 chip configurations :-(

So, I'm thinking the highest spec'd iMac at this point (not the retina display version) and a nice external thunderbolt chassis to house multiple hard drives. The new towers are just so expensive, it's hard to see the benefits (primarily for use with Logic) being worth it....

6. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

If you are going to run a lot of the Hollywood Series folks, you will be far better off with an iMac and a good PC slave than just the new Mac Pro. Play, like most software but even more so, is far more efficient under Windows than OSX.

7. Tux

Tux Member

===================================
    Eli, I saw on http://store.apple.com/ca/buy-mac/mac-pro that you can upgrade the mimi to i7
    Tux

8. Tux

Tux Member

===========================================
    Anyone using the new Mac Pro 2013 with LPX 10.1 have good things to say about the macs performance?
    And is anyone using the RME Fireface 800 with the new mac and if so how did you hook them up since there is no firewire ports on the FF800?

9. Eli

Eli Senior member

Yes, my mistake. I meant that you couldn't upgrade them to quad core i7 configurations. But you can with the iMac.

10. Tux

Tux Member

Silly me. I meant there no firewire ports on the new macs. DUH!