Logic Pro (X) 32-bit plugins - Is there a solution?

See this thread. https://logic-users-group.com/forums/threads/is-there-some-3rd-part-audio-unit-bridge-plugin.7628/

There are a few options.

AULab as a host using Soundflower and IAC. Free. (As a variation you can use other applications you may have already to host the plugins, then link via Soundflower and IAC. I use DSP-Quattro for this.)

Use a VST version of the plugin wrapped in jBridgeM which in turn is wrapped in MetaPlugin. About $50.

Also you can use Plogue Bidule. About $100. Does a lot more than plugin hosting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
There is a tutorial I created about using Logic Pro X and VEPro 5 here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
And between you and I, VEpro is the easiest to set up and the best one I know for 32 bit plug-ins, as well as hosting 64 bit plugins out side of Logic, a very good way to get a better balanced CPU load that hosting within Logic for DSP hungry plugins.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! :) It sounds like VE Pro is the quickest, most efficient & most flexible way to do it.... just kinda sad that it costs more than LPX did, at $270! :cool:

Upvote 0
Looking on the positive side...

Looking on the positive side, I guess it comes with some nice orchestral sounds and a quality reverb plug. I have so many great 32-bit effects 'patches' saved in Logic, but I'm thinking they won't load automatically with VEPro - is there a way to redo these 'patches' so they automatically load with VEPro as the host?

PS: Is there a way to use VEPro without an iKey?

Upvote 0
You need the iLok to run it. If all you need is access to 32 bit plugins, VE Pro is serious overkill. But great if you have a use for all of it's principle features.

Upvote 0
Well you do get a pretty good sample library with it... the "Epic Orchestra" strings are good enough that I have seen a pretty big LA composer use them in a couple of soundtracks that he composed, over other very expensive sample libraries. So, while you will pay a couple of hundred for it, it's really worth it in the end.

That and the fact that you can use it on up to 3 computers, so if you have any sitting around (I have 4 computers in my studio) you can use them as sound sources.

* I am in NO WAY affiliated with the guys at VSL.. in fact I have had issues with their software a couple of years ago, while it was being developed and we who bought it were glorified beta testers. That said, today it is a really fantastic product, allowing one to use an ethernet connection to send audio and midi from one system to another.

Upvote 0
But it sounds like all the other options are also 'overkill', in the complexities of setup needed to accomplish a lower level of effectiveness than VE Pro, no?

Upvote 0
You need the iLok to run it.

AFAIU, VE Pro does not work with the Pace iLok system, rather the eLicencer, as used by Steinberg for Cubase, Nuendo, Wavelab etc. VSL refer to it as the "Vienna Key".

In fairness I don't own VE Pro - perhaps someone here who does could clarify this?

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
If you are saying VEPro is by far the easiest host to setup, you are correct.

I have tried a number of methods (AU LAB, Bidule,) and prefer the VEPro app by far.

Yes, there are cheaper alternatives, but in this case I'll spend more for the Ferrari :D

Upvote 0
I agree VE Pro is a wonderful thing. It's a marvellous piece of software engineering and reasonably priced for what it does.

But if you don't do orchestral work, you don't run multiple computers, and you don't have problems with processor loads from running large numbers of VIs it may not be good value. It primary raison d'etre is NOT to serve as a 32 bit plugin bridge.

Same with Bidule which costs a bit less than half as much as VE Pro It does a load of stuff in addition to hosting plugins. There might still be the option of using it for free until the first 1.0 version is released. It used to run for three months at a time, then expire.

But the best solution I think is to leave 32 bit behind. Apple and MOTU certainly have. Any plugin maker that hasn't converted in the time we've known about 64 bit cant be that serious about long term support for the product. If you're going to spend >$200 on a plugin wrapper, maybe better to spend it on a 64 bit alternative from someone that has their act together.

The other solutions like AU Lab, or other free hosts using Soundflower are workable in the short term while alternatives are sought.

Upvote 0
Again, thanks to all of you for your insightful comments! I wonder how hard it would be to build a basic 32 to 64bit 'wrapper' that could be used as needed with LPX - seems like folks have done this in the past?

Upvote 0
Someone has made a wrapper using J-Bridge and have a few plug-ins that can be wrapped now, but it's not done as an easy to use all around wrapper without some effort now.

Upvote 0
You need the iLok to run it.

AFAIU, VE Pro does not work with the Pace iLok system, rather the eLicencer, as used by Steinberg for Cubase, Nuendo, Wavelab etc. VSL refer to it as the "Vienna Key".

In fairness I don't own VE Pro - perhaps someone here who does could clarify this?

kind regards

Mark
Sorry, that's correct, it eLicencer, not iLok. Either way you need it. I assume most people have both already if they have any number of VIs.

Upvote 0
Someone has made a wrapper using J-Bridge and have a few plug-ins that can be wrapped now, but it's not done as an easy to use all around wrapper without some effort now.
jBridgeM is actually pretty simple to use. You tell it where your 32 bit plugins are, and it generates 64 bit wrappers for each and puts them in your User plugins library. You DAW will access and validate them on the next startup, and from then on the wrappers will just appear in your plugin lists like any other. You do this once, then never look at it again, unless for some strange reason you keep buying new 32 bit plugins.

The wrappers access the original 32 bit plugins in background. Most of my 32 bit plugins worked, first time with jBridgeM. For a couple I had to tweak some settings. So for the most part use is transparent.

At this point jBridgeM only works with VST plugins. When DP went 64 bit that was fine, because DP started supporting VST at the same time. There wasn't a lot of need for an AU version at the time because just about everything was available in both formats. Now that Logic is 64 bit only, it would seem there is a market for an AU version. I'm sure the author is aware of the situation. It would be worth asking him what he has in mind.

Upvote 0
jBridgeM is actually pretty simple to use. You tell it where your 32 bit plugins are, and it generates 64 bit wrappers for each and puts them in your User plugins library. You DAW will access and validate them on the next startup, and from then on the wrappers will just appear in your plugin lists like any other. You do this once, then never look at it again, unless for some strange reason you keep buying new 32 bit plugins.

The wrappers access the original 32 bit plugins in background. Most of my 32 bit plugins worked, first time with jBridgeM. For a couple I had to tweak some settings. So for the most part use is transparent.

At this point jBridgeM only works with VST plugins. When DP went 64 bit that was fine, because DP started supporting VST at the same time. There wasn't a lot of need for an AU version at the time because just about everything was available in both formats. Now that Logic is 64 bit only, it would seem there is a market for an AU version. I'm sure the author is aware of the situation. It would be worth asking him what he has in mind.

I asked him if he was working on it and he said he was but was having some issues with AU. He said that he plans on releasing it but doesn't have a firm date.

Upvote 0
As far as I know, if you run VE Pro on a Mac, you can use AU plugins only.

On my system, VE Pro only shows AU plugins, though I have many VST versions installed as well.

Upvote 0
Back