1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 64 bit mode on iMac with only 4GB RAM?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by joegold, Feb 11, 2012.

1. joegold

joegold Member

Are there any advantages/disadvantages in running Logic 9 in 64 bit mode on an Intel iMac (27") with only 4GB of RAM installed?

Would I be better off just using 32 bit mode?
  3. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior member

The biggest advantage is if you're running a large orchestral sample libraries.

Also depends on how your third party plugs behave with the 32bit bridge.

4. joegold

joegold Member

I thought that 64 bit mode only has access to more RAM if you have more than 4GB installed.

Putting the 3rd party plugins aside, is the advantage you cite above applicable *even with only 4 GB's of RAM installed*?
  5. daveyboy

daveyboy Senior member

There's no benefit running in 64 bit if you only have 4 gigs total. You're way better off maxing out your ram and running
    Logic in 64 bit. These days if I try to boot up a normal session in 32 bit Logic just quits as I'm way over 4 gigs :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  6. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Even with "only" 4 GB RAM, Logic may be more stable in 64 bit Mode when RAM is running out. Worth experimenting with. If you experience a crash in 32 bit mode, try to reproduce this running in 64 bit mode. If you can't, there's your benefit.

But the real solution is very straightforward: Get more RAM ;)

kind regards