1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of Score Questions

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by HKC, Jan 18, 2015.

1. HKC

HKC Senior member

Hi there
    A friend of mine (whose English is not so great) has asked me a couple of questions. I rarely use score so I don't know it myself but I know that some people in here use it a lot.
    The first one is: He want to have a multiple rest from bar 1 to bar 9. For some reason Logic chooses to divide it into bar 1 + a 7 seven bar multiple rest instead of just an 8 bar one. Why.....he tells me he has done it many times before but now it behaves differently.

The next is harder to explain and it doesn't make it easier that none of us know the English names for this symbol but here I go: After making a complete score (this is for a symphonic orchestra so there are many, many voices) he wants to insert certain "rehearsal points" which basically is just i.e. an A. Is there a way to make these inserts global so he doesn't have to insert them on all voices. This is of course only an issue because there are so many voices.

Hope you understand what I mean

All the Best
    HKC

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

As far as the rehearsal symbols, I've never actually tried it myself, but my understanding is that if you hold down the Shift Key when adding them, they will be applied to all parts. I may have this wrong though.....

4. HKC

HKC Senior member

I'll let him know about the shift thing. If it works it's exactly what he asked for.
    BTW when you say rehearsal symbols do you just mean "text" or is there dedicated rehearsal symbols somewhere in Score.

Thanks
    Henrik

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

I usually set up a dedicated text style for it, using the "boxed" setting.

6. HKC

HKC Senior member

And your shortcut does work so that's all cool.....I thought

It turns out that on scores the rehearsal letters are only visable on the first instrument in the "view all" score page yet also visible on all individual tracks, exactly like the headline.

I can see what he means and I'm sure he's right but I'm not sure that Logic is up to his very ambitious score writing.

He is very aware of Sibelius and Finale but since he has never seriously worked in any of these programs he is very reluctant to try now :)

All the Best
    Henrik

7. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

The issue with the multiple rest I believe can have at least three possibilities. A time signature change, user bar line or user rest. Have him open up his signature list and see if a user bar line shows up. Time signature will show up there as well, but I'm sure that would be obvious in the score. User rests will show up in event list - although I'm not sure if that would cause the problem anyway.

Regarding the rehearsal marks, I'm still not clear what the goal is and why it is not being met. One tip when using the box - put a space before and after text (even if just one letter or number), it centers it much better.

Feel free to post example score of problem and I'll take a look at it - or you can e-mail it to me directly.

HTH

8. Doug Zangar

Follow up - it is quite common to do a project for the score and a separate (copied) one for parts. He may find that is the only way to get score and parts to look the best - I do this in Sibelius as well.

9. HKC

HKC Senior member

Problem one is solved. He did have a user barline :)

As for problem two, it is probably me who explains it badly.
    He wants to have a rehearsal letter on all separate parts while on the score (for the conductor) only on the first instrument. He says this is common (and he's is probably right). Otherwise you would have i.e. A written 100 times below each other.

I have told him that he probably have to do a separate edit for the conductor. His problem is that he also have his machine loaded with 16GBs of samples so it takes him forever to load a song. I know he can just disable core audio but then he can't check if he accidentally moved something.
    Did I mention he is also a little impatient :)

Thanks
    Henrik

10. Doug Zangar

Aha - as I suspected ;)

Regarding the rehearsal cues, there is no perfect solution. I would probably print the score for the conductor, do a save as and then modify for parts, using Eli's suggested technique to copy to multiple parts.

11. HKC

HKC Senior member

Thanks a lot for the help.
    I think my friend consider the problem solved although he holds a slight grudge in terms of the missing feature concerning the rehearsal letters :)

All the Best
    HKC