Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Added Thunderbolt HD but still getting CPU overloads!

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by chalkncheese, Jul 25, 2015.

1. chalkncheese

chalkncheese Member

OK so I took the advice and bought a Thunderbolt 1TB HD to relieve my Mac Book from hungry PLAY/EWQLSO, Spectrasonics trio, Apple Loops, EXS, DOD, Ultrabeat samples, and NI stuff all of which was migrated to the HD, and won back 260Gb on the internal HD....which you'd think should take the pressure off of RAM and internal HD and expect vast improvements in boot and operations performance ... but no.....I still get the same warning signs and CPU usage still hits the ceiling....

I am probably missing something but at the moment I can't see it, can anyone help?

thanks and regards

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Hello,

It would help to know:
    - Mac model, number of cores, and clock speed?
    - Type and speed of the internal drive: SSD or mechanical? 7200 rpm or 5400 rpm?
    - Amount of RAM?
    - Version of OSX and Logic?
    - Settings for streaming samples from disk for the various sample libraries?
    - Is the CPU load evenly distributed on all available cores? Or is a single core on overload?

Using separate HD for OS/apps, sample libraries, and projects does increase system efficiency. But there are other variables that impact performance.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  4. chalkncheese

chalkncheese Member

Thanks for answering...

- Mac model, MID 2012 MAC BOOK PRO number of cores TWO , and clock speed? 2.9 GHz INTEL CORE i7
    - Type and speed of the internal drive: SSD or mechanical? 7200 rpm or 5400 rpm? STOCK SUPPLIED 750GB AT 5400 (MECH')
    - Amount of RAM? 8 (I KNOW EVERYONE SAYS GET MORE RAM, AND GET AN SSD ETC, AND I MAY DO THAT BUT I SEE THIS AS A SEPARATE ISSUE TO "WHY AREN'T SAMPLES ON AN EXTERNAL THUNDERBOLT + FREEING 260GB SPACE IMPROVING THE SETUP?" EVERYTHING WAS WORKING BETTER BEFORE INTRODUCING THUNDERBOLT SO I SUSPECT THE ISSUE IS ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE I HAVEN'T DONE YET!
    - Version of OSX and Logic? 10.10.3 AND 10.1.1
    - Settings for streaming samples from disk for the various sample libraries? LINK SETTINGS ARE FROM WITHIN THE APPLICATIONS (EWQLSO, NI BATTERY, SPECTRASONICS STEAM) AND THE APPLE LOOPS / ULTRABEAT / EXS24 ALL RELATE TO THE SAMPLES NOW MIGRATED TO THE THUNDERBOLT HD VIA AN ALIAS SITTING IN THE MACBOOKPRO/SYSTEM FOLDER
    - Is the CPU load evenly distributed on all available cores? Or is a single core on overload? LOOKING AT THE CPU/HD METER, THE LEFT METER (AUDIO) HAS TWO CHANNELS SO I ASSUME THIS REPRESENTS THE TWO CORES (?) ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER BEEN HERE BEFORE (LEARNING!)... ON ONE PROJECT THE RIGHT CHANNEL TOPS OUT, BUT ON ANOTHER DIFFERENT PROJECT I GET SYSTEM OVERLOAD MESSAGE EVEN WHEN THE CORES AND DISK I/O READINGS ARE NOWHERE NEAR THE TOP (I HAVE A SCREEN GRAB OF THIS), THAT SAID THE RIGHT CHANNEL SEEMS TO CONSISTENTLY LOAD MORE THAN THE LEFT ONE.

5. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Thank you for providing a comprehensive overview of your system.

I forgot to ask an essential question: I/O buffer setting? If it’s too low, then CPU overload will occur.
    Is your CPU overload occurring when mixing with a high I/O buffer? Or tracking with a low I/O in an already large project?

How are you configuring multi timbral/multi output instruments like Kontakt? One instrument per instance per track like the EXS24? Or loading 16 instruments in one instance of Kontakt? A single instrument per instance per track helps keep the CPU load balanced.

Here’s an excellent resource:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203930

6. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

7. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior member

The dual core will be challenged, when I had a dual core, I had to bounce and freeze during the mixing process.
    The sessions were mostly audio with maybe one or two VI.

Back in 2011 I upgraded to a quad core MBP, I rarely bounce or freeze any more.

A SSD will speed up your file system, but will not give you more power for virtual instruments and effects.

Check out the Logic Multicore Benchmark.
    A CPU stress test for comparing Macs
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/logic-pro-x/371545-logic-pro-multicore-benchmarktest.html

8. Sourcefor

Sourcefor New Member

Yes I have a 27 iMac i7 quad core but keep getting spikes and sync messages as well ' sample rate not recognized' etc. wtf!

9. angelonyc

angelonyc New Member

I think 'sample rate not recognized' is a generic warning.. and may not be the problem.. I get it too. seems, to be when my 8 core gets overloaded.. Some U-HE and Synthmaster, is extremely demanding CPU wise..