Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding CC# dynamic data to existing track.

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Jay Denson, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Is there a way I can add e.g. mod wheel or pitch bend or other dynamic CC# data to an existing MIDI region?

I’ve tried recording over a region (no Replace) and adding, say Mod Wheel data. This works but you have to separate the superimposed regions in order to edit either of them.

The ability to post (as in post-produce) CC# data would be very useful in adding life to instrumental tracks when to add it during the recording (i.e. performance) would require more technique than I sometimes have (depending on the complexity of the instrumental part). And, besides, it’s two or more things to screw up necessitating constant re-recording. I don't mean MIDI Draw - I mean real-time.

There has to be a way - blessed if I can find it.

TIA Jay

3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

Hi,
    You can duplicate that track as many times you want (according to the MIDI event definitions you plan to record). To duplicate a Track (according to the manual) do the following:
    • Choose Track > Other > New Track With Same Channel (or use the corresponding key command).
    • Option-click the Duplicate Track button above the track headers.
    A new track is created below the selected track.

Select a given track duplication and record Modulation. Select another track duplication and record Expression etc. You can name the Track duplications according to the MIDI definitions.

4. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Thanks Tangra

But wont that mean I'm duplicating my audio (MIDI)?

Jay

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi Jay,

Check the MIDI page of your Project Settings. It sounds like "Join with selected regions" is the option you want to have selected in order to be able to record a second pass of MIDI data (doesn't matter if it is CC or note data) and have it automatically merged with the selected region.

Attached Files:

6. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Eli

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't want the music and CC tracks to join automatically.

My work-around is to record (non-replace) over the music track. The top layer will be the CC track which I can tweak in the editor. If I want to tweak the music track I drag the CC track out of the way to an empty track below. Of course, while tweaking the music track you won't have the CC track active - but, Hey - it's a workaround. And I can join them later when I'm happy with it.

Kind regards, Jay

7. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi Jay,

I misunderstood your question. In that case, definitely the "new track with same instrument" command is exactly what you need. You can create as many tracks as you want all pointing to the same underlying channel strip. You can have your CC data and note data on separate tracks, both assigned to the same channel strip.

Make sure to enable the on/off button in the Configure Track Header box, and you will be easily able to mute the individual tracks when necessary. See the attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

8. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

CC data tracks

Hi Eli

Where is "new track with same instrument"? That's obviously not the same as "new track with duplicate settings" which I use a lot.

Jay

9. Eli

Eli Senior member

Look at the screenshot in my previous response. It is under the Track menu, in the "Other" sub menu. The default key command assignment for it is Control+Shift+Return.

10. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Wow - there's a whole new world in there. I'll get right on it. Thanks as always.

Jay

11. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Utterly brilliant - just tried it. I've been tearing my hair out. Should've asked you months ago. Thanks ever so much.

Jay

12. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Yosemite?

Off topic - I know. Yosemite? Any comment Eli?

Jay

13. Eli

Eli Senior member

Nope. I'm not even on Mavericks yet! :D I'm still on OS 10.8.4. But I do plan on moving up to Yosemite in the not too distant future. Probably in the new year.

14. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Yosemite

Cool!! Thanks again for the CC info.

Jay