1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Addressing multiple vi instances with same cc assignments?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by xmiinc, Jun 18, 2013.

1. xmiinc

xmiinc Member

Is this possible, even when addressing different MIDI channels?

It would not seem so, using traditional methods (like Learn assignments, or even the IAC object), without copying the assignments for one MIDI channel to all MIDI channels.

Is there another, perhaps object-level approach to doing this, so that something like choosing/changing the Track input channel allows controllers to address that instance of a vi on that particular channel, thus preventing, say, a channel 2 controller from affecting a channel 3 instrument--but without having to 'relearn' the cc assignments?

3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

I'm away of Logic right now, but as far as I remember there is a setting in the Advanced Controller Assignments dialog, where you can change "Selected Track" to "Software Instrument Number" or "Audio Track" number per given assignment (something like that).
    Doing that, each assignment is specific for a given Channel Strip and is not dependable of the arrange track selection.

4. xmiinc

xmiinc Member

Thanks Tangra! That would be something I'm looking for if the CA controller assignment became independent of the MIDI channel. When I get home, I will look for this to see if this does the trick. (Currently, the Learned assignments are limited to the MIDI channel they are assigned to.)

I'll post back my 'findings' :)

5. xmiinc

xmiinc Member

Tangra, you are correct, sir! Using 'Selected Track' does indeed keep the 'Learned' assignments but change the MIDI channel of the assignment correctly.

But what makes this a bit embarrassing for me to write, is that this is the way I had it to begin with! I was observing the values in the CA and just *assumed* what I was seeing in the CA dialog would be how it would be written to a track. Of course, the "magic" of changing the MIDI channel assignment on-the-fly happens only after the Record button is pushed. Doh.