1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adopt new Lx key commands and non-extended keyboards?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by CSeye, Sep 5, 2013.

1. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

After the initial "Wow" response, the depth of Logic X with it's new tools and work flow options still continues to inspire me. Having said that, in some strange way, all that is new and cool in Lx somehow still draws attention to the stability and vast power of L9.

During the Lx installation, I went with the familiar L9 key commands. My customized commands documented in a word processor table:thmbup:

But it's very clear to me that Lx is the future. I haven't started anything new in L9 although it's installed on both of my systems.

So I'm now faced with just biting the bullet and learning the Lx default k.c. Adding my customized commands is not an issue.

Another wrinkle is Apple's move towards non-extended keyboards... I have two extended keyboards and use them... extensively.;)

Does it make sense to also just get used to the non-numerical keypad key boards???

Thought? Comments?

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hey Wally,

I wouldn't dump the extended keyboard. I still have mine and use it and hope to continue using it for a long time to come.

WRT key commands, I changed to the Logic Pro X defaults because I had to for pedagogical reasons (the groove3 videos). A lot of the basics have changed with the new LPX defaults and my muscle memory still isn't fully retuned to the new movements! I can't fully see that all the changes are for the better. I think they did it for consistency with some of their other pro apps. I mean, T for tools? Come on, esc has been the holy grail since Logic 1.0! Next thing you know they'll be changing the tilde key for something other than toggling catch mode!

But seriously, it is a big change and if it's not totally necessary there's no reason to make the change right now. I can see that some of the key command changes are designed for non extended keyboard compatibility. And that makes sense, given that their products now ship with non extended keyboards.

It's a tough call, wether to make the change/jump now or not. I'm personally a big fan of inertia. If you don't have to, don't. But OTOH, I don't necessarily practice what I preach. Look who's talking here - Mr "use the defaults" on everything with every upgrade of every software the moment it comes out :)

I really haven't helped much here, have I? :D

4. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Hey Eli,

Somewhere in your response is the answer I'm looking for.:D

But seriously, how else could you answer?
    I just recently finished watching your outstanding Lx Explained tutorial during which I initially found myself grumbling about the new kc. Then I started to consider making adjustments now given all of the changes in Lx, wave of the future and such.

I agree that some kc changes are not for the best. It wasn't a big adjustment getting used to the L9 kc compared to L8. But this time around, the changes seem more extreme.

I'll play around with the new defaults to see how it goes.

Thanks for the insights.

5. charlie

charlie Senior member

It's my long-held belief that tools should be molded around the user and not the other way around.
    I personally do not like this trend that every time a new update comes around it is the user who must be inconvenienced to adopt to what some Programer decided.

I'm not looking to argue or even to discuss beyond this, -I know we're just talking about key-commands but key commands become second-nature to our creativity and when they are taken away (changed,) something is lost...
    I kinda look at our world now like this; We live in an almost sci-fi like, computer-based world bent on making our lives more convenient, creative and connected, one would imagine then, that software should always be "back-ward compatible" to how WE work.
    Imagine, having a minimal learning curve with any new software because your old Key-Commands would automatically import and be re-interpreted by the new software so that it would fit YOUR workflow.
    The Program fits YOU and not the other way around.
    :abduct:
    Utopian Dreams? You betcha! But these dreams are mine!:hippy:

6. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Charlie,
    Very helpful perspective.

Given the significant changes in Logic coupled with Mavericks and new Macs on the horizon, I found myself debating the key command issue.

Having said that I completely agree with you that the tools should fit the user.
    At this point, the Escape key; B,O,R,F and E,K,T,U as well as many others are pretty deeply etched in my brain/muscle memory system (to use Eli's term).

I'll still give the new kc a whirl for a few more days, then decide... Nice to have the option to revert back at any time.

7. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

Absolutely.

Re: Key Commands, I don't necessarily understand the reason to change them (some I do, they are reserved system keys. Other changes are more arbitrary, it seems). But regarding allowing your tools to be molded, Logic has always had one of the (or maybe the) most robust and flexible system of assigning key commands. So even as LPX becomes a more mainstream accessible application, we still retain the ability to mold key commands. So in my opinion, LPX still has a fantastic, excellent key command system, and we can use all our previous custom molded-to-our-workflow key commands.

Orren

8. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Thanks to all of the excellent perspective provided in this thread, I just reverted back to my custom L9 key commands.:thmbup:

9. LMPaule

LMPaule Senior member

Yet one more perspective. There are numerous other programs, that I uses regularly, that utilize the extended keyboard (Sibelius and Excel come to mind). So, I don't foresee getting rid of the extended keyboard. As I do most of my work on that same Mac, it would be silly to pretend those keys weren't there for LPX. I would get used to the shorter key commands if I did most of my work on a laptop.

Re: Eli's comment "I'm personally a big fan of inertia." Words to live by.