1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Advice on multi-timbral instrument workflow

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by ChrisByrd, Oct 21, 2009.

1. ChrisByrd

ChrisByrd Member

After trying the various ways of using multi-timbral instruments like Kontakt, I've come to feel most comfortable using the multi-timbral instrument + aux channels for the different outputs approach.

So far, I've been creating arrange tracks for the aux channels, but am now wondering if this is necessary. As the mixer is so accessible in Logic, I usually find it easier just to jump to the aux tracks in the mixer rather than make any changes to them in the Arrange window. I also find they tend to clutter up the arrange window when I'm at the composing stage.

So, apologies if this is a naive question, but do I lose anything by not having the aux channels in the Arrange window?

Chris

3. ChrisByrd

ChrisByrd Member

Actually, I've just answered my own question. The Frontier Alphatrack doesn't allow you to control volume and pan on the aux channels unless you create tracks in the Arrange window. I've found that then hiding these seems to give me what I want.

4. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

The main advantage of placing aux channels in the Arrange window is so that the volume and pan can be automated. Just not by AlphaSmart.:(

Now that you mention it, I'll need to see if Quick Access automation works.
    I just recently started using the Korg Nano Kontrol because it has MIDI CC which AT does not. So I have a Kontrol template in progress that is a combination of the most frequently used CC# and control of Logic/plug-ins.

5. ChrisByrd

ChrisByrd Member

Thanks for the reply. I need to understand automation better in Logic (I'm a long time Cubase user), so will check this out.

6. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Automating aux channels in Logic is not-so-logical but it works great. Setting up multi-output VI and then automating them is an area where Cubase is more streamlined.

After you set up your aux channels for a multi-out Kontakt, drag over their names at the bottom of the mixer to select them, then go into the local Options menu button at the top of the mixer to select Create Arrange Tracks For Selected Channel Strips. Or an easier way is to drag-select as above, then click on the automation pop up just above the pan control in the mixer. Select a type of automation and the aux tracks appear.

You now have aux tracks in the Arrange window which can be automated individually. If you tried to automate the instrument tracks for a multi out VI, all of them would respond as a unit. But the aux tracks give you the isolated control that you need for volume and pan adjustments.

(If a mix is static, then one could just manually set aux fader levels in the mixer. )

Hit the letter A on your keyboard to open up the automation lanes. I like to zoom in first, then hit A. If you click the triangle pointer at the left, more automation lanes open up that you can set for different parameters.

Automation Quick Access does indeed work with aux tracks.

I don't mean to throw advertising at you but Doug Zangar provides an automation masterclass (my opinion) on the Logic Operator 2 tutorial from Groove3.

Cheers.

7. ChrisByrd

ChrisByrd Member

Thanks for the detailed reply! That's made things a lot clearer.

One thing I can't figure out though is how to automate Modulation (CC1) on the actual instrument tracks - Garritan Personal Orchestra uses the Mod Wheel to control volume and select different samples. In Cubase I can just select any MIDI controller to automate, but can't find out how to do this in Logic - the only automation parameters available seem to be volume, pan, mute and solo. Am I missing something?

8. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

CC1 and CC11 are MIDI automation that is not handled by Logic's track based automation but by what is called Hyperdraw in Logic. Simply go into record on the track and record it in real time or open up Hyperdraw in one of th MIDI editors and click it in.

You can later convert Hyperdraw to TBA if you wish..

9. ChrisByrd

ChrisByrd Member

Thanks Jay- I think that's the final part of the puzzle in place!

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Senior member

I just started using single instances only of Kontakt, but, prior I had a setup in the environment which consisted of a multi instrument object and a transformer going into Kontakt, changing the volume cc to another number, thus allowing me to automate easily without using auxes, etc. Anyway, the place where I do use the extra outputs is with BFD2. In that case, I have BFD2 on it's own environment layer so that all it's outputs are all together. Then, I have the environment open in a little floating window and have it off to the side so that I have access to all of BFD's outputs all the time. If I end up automating one of them it's ok as that one output will end up on the arrange page but I don't have to have all of them showing in the arrange page. You can have the link button on or off depending on what you want to see. You might do the same with Kontakt as you probably don't automate everything and you can have access to all the outputs for quick adjustment.

11. ChrisByrd

ChrisByrd Member

Thanks Dave - I'll try that as well. I've used Kontakt as a rack for so long, and I do sometimes use Kontakt's aux channels for send effects, that I'm still more comfortable using that approach.

I've learned a lot more about Logic from this thread!