Logic Pro 8 Aggregate device input routing problem?

DSP Hungry

Logician
Hello Mates,

I have two MOTU 828'mkII connected and synced via firewire. All 16 analog
outputs work as expected but the inputs from the second unit are not seen in the Logic mixer?

I see 28 inputs in my I/O labeling page and in the Audio MIDI setup aggregate device editor. I am able to select 28 inputs on an audio track but with no
luck.. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rich-:eeek:

I have two MOTU 828'mkII connected and synced via firewire. All 16 analog outputs work as expected but the inputs from the second unit are not seen in the Logic mixer?

I see 28 inputs in my I/O labeling page and in the Audio MIDI setup aggregate device editor. I am able to select 28 inputs on an audio track but with no
luck.. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If both AMS shows all 28 inputs, and Logic detects all 28 inputs, that implies that the problem is likely not in the Core Audio/Logic software routing, but somehow in the hardware.

Can you check in MOTU's CueMIX DSP software to make sure all 16 inputs of box 2 are active? Is there some switch to flip to activate them either in software or hardware? Are both interfaces clocked properly to each other? That's where I'd check first.

Orren

Upvote 0
I have occasionally come across this trying to make an aggregate device out of two RME FF800s. The cause of the problem was, as Orren mentioned clocking. In some cases, I had left one device set to 44,1 kHz, the other was at 88,2 kHz, or 44,1 kHz and 48 kHz etc.

Correcting that allowed the full number of I/Os for both units to show up.

As an aside, you may find that an aggregate device may not work with very low Buffer I/O a.k.a. Latency settings.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Aggregate input routing issue..

The signal routes into the cuemix console and I'm able to monitor it there.
I can't get input 17-24 to recognize the signal in the Logic environment/mixer!:errr:

Upvote 0
Just to rule out the obvious - which version of Logic are you running? Because Express had/has some limitations as to the number of physical inputs it will recognize. I know it used to be 12. I'm not sure if that has changed in LE 8 or not.

Upvote 0
Good catch Eli. AFAIK more than 12 inputs are possible with LE 8, but I never used it, I'm not 100% sure.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Last time I connected two MOTU interfaces (a few years ago) 'Aggregate Devices' was not necessary as the MOTU software saw them as as master and slave and published one unit to the OS.. Unfortunately RME didn't do that last time I checked and 'Aggregate Devices' was necessary.

Word clock is probably a safer/tighter sync option.

Upvote 0
Last time I connected two MOTU interfaces (a few years ago) 'Aggregate Devices' was not necessary as the MOTU software saw them as as master and slave and published one unit to the OS.. Unfortunately RME didn't do that last time I checked and 'Aggregate Devices' was necessary.

I could be wrong, but I believe that was a feature of the OS9 ASIO drivers...

Word clock is probably a safer/tighter sync option.

Word clock is good, and if those interfaces have AES/EBU, that's another good option.

Orren

Upvote 0
Sync and input routing...

Is there any one out there using the Aggregate driver that can record more then 8 inputs in Logic with MOTU interfaces?

Anyone?

Upvote 0
SOLVED...

I reset the units after disconnecting them from the machine. There is a hardware reset option in the system settings on 828's. Thanks to Luke at Black lion audio for helping me out and to all who replied...

Rich-

Upvote 0
Back