Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 7 & earlier Always make a region of the full locator length????

Discussion in 'Logic 7 and older Versions' started by Maestro_T, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Maestro_T

Maestro_T New Member

Hello, I need help with Logic 7.2.1

Here is my scenario:

I set my left locator to bar 1 and my right locator to bar 5 (I'm recording a 4 bar section). The first note of the section appears on the two (second beat) and the last note ends before bar 5. The region that gets created starts on the two (Second beat) and, if I remember correctly, ends at the end of the final note, not bar 5. :(

What I want, is for the region to be created from bar 1 to bar 5, regardless of the notes within. Can anyone help? :confused:

3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

1)Stretch the beginning and end to beyond the boundaries of the region, and then
    2)use the cut function on the bar lines.
    3) Remove the leftover bits before and after, and
    4)then press L to confirm that the loop is done correctly.

If you can't drag the beginning of the region to the left, add a blank region on the beginning of bar 1 and glue before you do the list above.
  4. Eli

Eli Senior member

I'm not quite sure I am following your description. You don't mention what bar number that final note is in. Logic always creates regions rounded to the bar when you are recording MIDI. But with audio it is different. The start point is rounded if you have a count in set. If you record with no count in, then the beginning of the newly created region will be from wherever you start recording from. The ending of audio recordings are never rounded, wether the cycle mode is active or inactive.

Are you recording MIDI or audio?
  5. Maestro_T

Maestro_T New Member

Hello, I'm recording midi.

I just looked at this and I think I worded it wrongly. In this scenario, the last note would be on the last bar at the 3rd beat - just before it loops back to bar 1.

I understand you can extend and trim the regions, I was just wondering if there was a setting I could change so that the region to be created from the beginning of the section to the end, regardless of the notes within. I've heard that it's possible to set up a key shortcut to do this, I was hoping I could set things up to do it automatically.

6. Eli

Eli Senior member

If you are recording MIDI, the regions that are created should always be rounded to the nearest bar boundary. So, if your last note is on the third beat, the region boundary should automatically conform to the end of that bar automatically.

What am I missing here? Are you using multi take recording and trying to punch in by any chance?
  7. Maestro_T

Maestro_T New Member

I don't think you are missing anything, I'm probably just not explaining it well enough. I'm not trying multiple takes - yet, although this will be something I will want to do. I now understand that, at least with regards to midi, there is this nearest bar boundary rounding thing going on. What I really want to know is, Can I switch it off? I want the regions to ALWAYS fill the full locator length. From bar 1 to the end locator.
  8. Eli

Eli Senior member

Okay, I get it now. Good question! The only thing that occurs to me to do is create an empty region in place that is the full length you want. And then in your recording settings, set Logic to merge new recordings with the existing region. That way the newly recorded part will become part of that full four bar region, whose boundaries will remain intact regardless of the placement of the new notes being recorded and merged. It'll definitely work. I'm just not sure if there is a simpler solution.
  9. Maestro_T

Maestro_T New Member

I think I sort of came across a solution last night. Within the Midi menu, I select snap region to bar start. This way I can start recording on the second beat or third beat of bar 1 and the region will begin at the start of bar 1. With this setting, if I let the recording cyle back to bar 1, the recorded region is the full locator length. If I use the merge new recordings setting, then my overdubbing scenario should be taken care of.

Thanks for your replies.