Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Analog mixer with logic?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by EioN, Apr 12, 2012.

1. EioN

EioN New Member

anyone have a set-up like this if so pro's con's and how
    thanks I'm going to search the rest of the interweb now
  3. LSchefman

LSchefman Senior member

It's simple. Connect your console's output busses to the analog inputs of your interface.

Connect the analog outputs of your interface to the console's inputs.

You will have the best of both worlds. Analog summing and mixing, analog bussing, or you could mix ITB and just have a big volume control. No latency when tracking either.
  4. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

I've used analogue desks with Logic. I can't think of any advantages. It's likely the desk will have a small effect on the sound, whether that's better or worse depends on the desk and your preferences and subjective opinion as to what sounds better.

However anything in the chain that affects what you hear (effects, converters, desks, monitors) is something you compensate for when you mix, so in the end it really doesn't matter.

The biggest issue is the accuracy of your monitors, and how well the sound you hear from them is translating to your audiences ears on their systems.
  5. EastWest Lurker

EastWest Lurker Senior member

I disagree that it will only have a "small effect on the sound" IF it is a great sounding console and IF you are tracking through it. It will add a character to the sound that you cannot add digitally after the fact that most people with experience and good ears will deem subjectively "better".

So if it is a Behringer or Mackie, no, but a nice Neve or Trident? You betcha.
  6. Pete Thomas

I don't know about Behringers, but I've used Mackies, Neves and Tridents.

To me its all down to how successful you are at getting the sound out of the monitors as close as possible to the sound in your head. I think the ideal is if the desk doesn't hinder that but as its impossible to test scientifically, ie doing the same mix on two different desks in the same room.

If a desk is adding certain frequencies, you compensate for that. If it's adding distortion you don't want then it's a different matter but I've never come across that problem.

Since I mostly don't use analogue desks, the only equivalent for me now is the quality or sound of the analogue converters in an interface.

My current philosophy is not to worry, as long as my clients like the sound I get, then I'd prefer to spend my time on the actual musical creative side of the production, rather than minutiae of tiny sound differences that are only really heard by trained professionals. But then I would be the first to admit that if my ears were better, I might think otherwise.

As fro being a great sounding console, I do admit to not knowing what that is. What sound is a console supposed to have?
  7. EastWest Lurker

It is not an either/or proposition. I no longer get to record very often with a great analogue desk either but when I do, I notice a big difference from recording directly to a DAW through even very good A/D converters. It is not essential to pleasing clients but when I get to do so, it is a joy, just as using great musicians is no longer a necessity but a great joy.

A great console sound is a great console sound and you either know it when you hear it or you don't.
  8. Pete Thomas

Ah well let me put it a different way, to me a great console would usually be one that does not add a sound, for me it should be transparent so that the sound in my head is easier to translate to the sound I'm getting from the monitors.

If somebody now gave me the choice of mixing in the box with Logic, and doing the same mix with Logic plus either of the Neves I used to use, then I would choose to mix in the box. But i do accept that its a personal matter, we all like to work differently.
  9. EastWest Lurker

Ah, and that is where we differ. When I use analogue gear I want it to color the sound on the way in, that is its big advantage.It is the non-linear irregularities that all analog has to varying degrees that give it a, well, character, that ITB lacks.

That said, good plugins, like the Studer, Ampex, Fatso, etc. from UAD and others get me closer to that. But there is still a substantial difference in adding that after the A/D stage than before.

And certainly working totally ITB is faster, more recallable, less expensive, and more convenient.

But if I were rich........