1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Anybody running this?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by jc7, Jun 25, 2010.

1. jc7

jc7 New Member

I'm looking at putting together a new system and am wondering if anyone is running the same and what I could expect, good and bad. Would like to feel more confident in my purchase I guess.

Imac - Base model - 21.5-inch: 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB ram, 500GB HD

Logic Express

Apogee Duet

Do I really need an external hard drive? If so What kind? What hook up is best? FW800 to HD out FW400 of HD to Duet?

This is just for hobby use. Probably EZ Drummer, some VI's (only Logic stuff), Guitar (using Amp Designer), Bass, Vox. What could I expect with CPU usage? Track Count?

Thanks,
    Jeff

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

RAM, system disk and Logic version are ok. Logic wants a big screen but I think with the newer iMacs you can add a second screen later if you want. Is this true? Was not possible with older models. They could only mirror the main screen.

CPU is ok for Logic in the newer Macs (and in the older models too). Track count depends on the plugins you are using. You may not get many if you use a lot of big plugins but normally the track count is reasonable with an iMac. And there is still the freeze function for single tracks, that helps a lot.

Disk:
    Add a Terabyte USB disk for backup (Time machine). USB is good enough for that and maybe there comes another Firewire device later and you may run into problems with your Firewire disk.

Audio Interface:
    The Duet is a good sounding interface. Be aware that it has unbalanced outputs. And only two in/outs which is really not much. Has it a fully functional MIDI interfrace? I don't know. Think about it, you may add a MIDI controller or keyboard some day and need a hole to plug it in. If you are not sure about that all, think about a bigger interface. Focusrite and Presonus have good preamps and more in/outs.

I miss the studio monitors in your list. They are important. The best interface is worth a fraction if you cannot hear it properly. And keep some money to treat your room acoustically. Must not be expensive but you should have bass traps behind the monitors and probably in the corners. You can build them yourself.

And I miss a microphone. This should fit to your voice.

How do you record guitar and bass? Directly through the interface? This may sound thin depending on your pickups and the instrument input. You can think about that later because audio interfaces have seldom good instrument inputs. But keep it in mind.

4. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

Yup, you can add a second monitor.

BTW, for hobby use as you said Jeff, you might find one monitor enough if you can do everything in the consolidated window by using the editor/mixer tabs in the main Arrange window.

It does not. I agree with Peter, you'll want some method of getting MIDI into your computer, even if you don't see yourself as anything but a hobby guitarist. For example, you may find yourself hearing a drum beat in your head, and not finding a built-in loop that is just what you want. So you'll want some form of MIDI entry, so instead of having to settle for the wrong beat, you can enter your drum pattern.

That doesn't need to be expensive, BTW. You can get a small USB MIDI keyboard, or a 1x1 MIDI interface, or a Korg PadKONTROL, etc. for not much money.

Excellent points. Studio monitors are vital. You don't want to rely on "computer speakers"—and by that I don't just mean built-in speakers, I mean you don't want to use those desktop Logitech speakers, and small speakers like that, which are basically still computer speakers, they're just put in an external case. Even inexpensive purpose-built studio monitors from M-Audio are better than those.

And these days, even cheap Chinese mics can sound very good. Even if you don't see yourself singing, it's always good to have a way to get external sounds into Logic.

Hope that helps!
    Orren

5. jc7

jc7 New Member

Thanks for answering guys! I should let you know that I have pretty much all the basses covered as I actually started long ago with an audiomedia 2 card with Logic, then a Session 8 w/ PT & Logic, now I'm wanting to upgrade my old Digi001 W/ PT only and get rid of a lot of outboard stuff and work with Logic again, all ITB. I know that the Duet has its limits but I've heard that the Pres and converters just can't be beat at the price, I have a uno midi usb interface and keyboard controller as well as monitors and mics. I guess my real concerns are CPU being able to work with out much grief and recomendations on hard drives and conections. You mentioned a USB drive but really only as backup, I believe that a FW drive would be better but any recomendations? Will doing sessions from only the internal drive, while not ideal, pose any problems? Is EZ drummer the least CPU hungry virtual drum program? Oh yeah, are you guys running this system or similar?

Thanks again,
    BTW I'd love to hear from others as well!

6. Peter Ostry

Exactly as you say, without much grief. I am on an "old" MacBook Pro and can work, have to freeze some tracks but I use rather CPU hungry third party plugins. Your iMac will be a more powerful so yes, you can work with it.

No need for Firewire disks in my opinion, even if you run your music and samples from a disk which is better, as you suspect.

I think so. It runs flawlessly here.

Others are not allowed to write here. They would need a license :)

7. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Senior member

In short: For what you seem to want/need, such a system should be more than fine.
    I'd probably think about the Duet, though. The converters may be among the finest on earth, but then, they may not be a requirement, especially as you describe yourself as a hobbyist. As a guitar player, you may even get a better deal from something such as Line 6's Toneport models. Cheaper and tailored for guitar players (or singers/songwriters).

- Sascha

8. jc7

jc7 New Member

Thanks Sascha, Peter and Orren for your replies!
    Yeah, I'm thinking it'll do what I want. Not sure about switching from the duet though, have a Line 6 Flextone I'm looking to sell not a big fan. I am keeping my Johnson J-Station however. Still I'm hoping the stuff that comes with Logic (Amp Designer, Bass Amp) will do what I need the to. How do you guys feel about those plugins?

9. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Senior member

See, I'm not a Line 6 fan by any means - but as an audio interface, somewhat tailored for guitarists, it's doing a nice job. You may or may not be irritated by whatever latencies when recording through software amps, and that's another advance of the Line 6 stuff, as you can monitor through the internal amp models (almost without latency) but record the dry guitar signal, so it's still good for software amps or "re-amping".

Regarding Amp Designer: I find it to be excellent for some sounds. High gain still isn't one of its fortes, mainly because of noise pollution (which I don't understand, as the competitors do a lot better job), but I think that it really shines at crunchy and somewhat slightly "broken up" sounds. Check the blue retro Boutique model (or so), IMHO that one really rocks. The Tweed models are quite nice, too.

10. Peter Ostry

Amp Designer is good. Bass Amp, well, maybe some people find it useful. I've never heard a good bass plugin that got fed with a real bass. I think there is an Ampex simulation somewhere which sounds authentic. Depends on your needs. Many say that Trilian is currently the best bass software but I guess this is not what you are looking for. I myself use a Sansamp RBI.