Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone start by recording vocal first ?

Discussion in 'Music Creation' started by Excluded, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Excluded

Excluded Member

Being a singer & a struggling slow logic learning individual I'm wondering if anyone records vocal & then compose or write to the vocal ?

I'm having a hard time composing & playing in time to a click & just thought I would ask if anyone uses this method or can suggest a few different ideas to speed up some demo tracks ?
  3. Eli

Eli Senior member

If you do start by recording vocals, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that, I'd suggest that you record them along with a click. It'll make it easier for you to build up an arrangement afterwards. Sure you can record freely and use beat mapping afterwards. But even for experienced Logic users, who wants to bother with that if you can avoid it from the start. And also, give yourself a reference note first, to insure you are singing on key and that the vocal will be in tune with whatever chords will ultimately end up underneath the vocals.
  4. Excluded

Excluded Member

Thanks heaps Eli.
    Yes the beat mapping can be time consuming & some people think its easy to get get the basics down for a song but in my songs I naturally seem to write songs with not only time signiture changes but tempo & key changes too that's why I struggle to finish them musicly.
  5. Eli

Eli Senior member

I guess what I would suggest in your case then, given that you want to record the vocals first, is this: Give yourself a starting note, and record your vocal accapella. Then immediately after your vocal is done, create a guide region of quarter or eight notes that you create by tapping out notes on a percussive instrument while listening back to your vocal. Then beat map using that guide region. Then put in meter changes where necessary.

At that point your tempo map and time signature changes should follow your performance, and you can avail yourself of Logic's full editing and quantizing functions as you build your track up. Unless you are using the score editor, I wouldn't worry about putting in the key changes right away. You can always add them in at any point as you are building up your song if you are using the score editor extensively.