1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Anyone using Novation Automat 4.10 with Logic Pro X?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by snegdirb, Jul 12, 2016.

1. snegdirb

snegdirb New Member

Hi everyone
    I just got an Impulse 61 controller and, of course, one of its selling points is Automap.
    For now, I would like to do simple things with automap like control the mixer and the transport.
    Once I get more into it, I might risk the plug-in control.
    Before I install anything, I like to do some reading and Automap has really mixed reviews.
    A lot of people are saying to avoid it at all costs.
    What I noticed, though, is that there is not much out there written after Automap 4.8.

Is there anyone using Automap 4.10 with Logic Pro X.
    If so, is it working as advertised or do the problems persist?

Thanks,
    Sneg

3. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

I am upgrading from 9 to 10 as I write this.
    Looks the same nothing seems to have changed except to include two new DAWs.
    You cans do what you want without automap just use the midi controls if you prefer.

4. snegdirb

snegdirb New Member

Hi volovicg. Thanks for this note.
    The reason I'm wondering about installing the automap software is that my Impulse keyboard keeps quitting on me.
    It will play for a bit and then quit.
    I will then unplug it and then plug it back in and it works again for a while.
    Do you have any thoughts about what I could try to fix this?

I have just been to the Novation website and I see that there is a USB driver there - should I install that as well?

5. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Yes would definitely do that....

6. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

Also important to rule out: cable reliability...

7. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

Automap works just fine with my SLMkII /LPX (v.10.2.4).
    However, you have to be aware of:

-It does not work well when used with other controllers on the same line in the Controller setup window.

-If you are using Automap with other controllers, Automap will work better if installed as the first installed (showing up at the top of the lines in Controller Setup window).

-If you need to update Automap (or any other controllers), that will require that you first uninstall all your controllers, including Automap, before proceeding with the update installation, AND starting with Automap first (pleonasm intended). That applies to firmware updates as well. So planning ahead is mandatory...

-Upon installation it creates virtual Automap plugins versions that you need to use (in order to control them via Automap).

-Automap will not control non "automapped" plugin versions. If my memory is good, that does not include Logic's own plugins though. Logic will scan the new automapped plugins upon launching. Following scrupulously the installation guide instructions is important, otherwise you will have problems with its functional features (at best), or the Automap plugins scan will fail and you will have no other choice than to uninstall everything and start again from scratch...

-Adding new plugins to the Automap is just a matter to add the proper checkmark with the proper Novation device selected.

-If you create/edit (most likely) your own plugin presets from within Automap, they won't be recognized by the non-Automap plugin version, which could be a problem if you plan to port/share your project to/with another user or computer... However the reciprocal approach (creating/editing the presets from within non-automap plugin version) circumvent this limitation, but defeat the Automap usefulness in that regard.

If you can live with the above, which may look somewhat heavy, but is not that much once you are through with your first installation. Proceeding cautiously will prevent lots of frustrations. Automap offers a powerful interface to customize your controller assignments, which I find miles ahead of Logic's in term of intuitiveness

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016