1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple draws ire from the Pro Video world...

Discussion in 'The LUG Lounge' started by charlie, Jun 29, 2011.

1. charlie

charlie Senior member

This is more about Apple than has anything (directly) related to Logic Pro.

I have never seen my industry so vitriolic...
    (I am a senior television editor in NYC by profession.)
    Apple has shafted their client base by removing Final Cut Pro and replacing it with a severely limited new program called FCPX.
    All traces of the legacy FCP7 vanished from their website and users were left scratching their heads.
    What I am saying is not opinion, it is happening right now and professionals all over are looking long & hard at their FCP suits and projects and coming to term with the fact that Apple has cut out all of the FCP legacy from their users.
    You can NOT create an OMF or an AAF for audio mixers anymore. You can NOT make an EDL for another platform to conform media to. XML is out the window too, I'm afraid. These are professional standards that Apple has just done away with here. This is huge.
    Hell, even Conan O'brian actually did a piece on his show on how his Editorial staff hated FCPX... Then article after article, blog after blog, professionals made themselves heard: How could Apple remove the majority of tools from your flagship editing program and change everything about it with no warning?
    You cannot even open an older version of a Final Cut project in this new version!
    That's just sheer balls, Apple. Talk about alienating your user-base.
    And let me be clear that I'm not talking about the scruffy kid who works in a coffee-shop by day and "edits" his self-made movie by night. I am talking about professionals who get paid to work creatively and deliver by a deadline.

How can a program call itself "professional" when you cannot access past projects when a client asks you to? (which, as we ALL know, happens all the time.)http://youtu.be/VXepNCs_iZo
    David Pogue of the NY Times wrote a naive article claiming that the new FCPX did not lose "all of its professional features," but when pressed, admitted that many of the features were not there just now. he eve had the audacity to quibble that EDLs were ancient and un-necessary.
    How condescending to guys like me who might use our knowledge of timecodes & framerates to solve problems a client might encounter.
    Pogue got more angry comments than he's ever gotten on any article he has ever written for the Times. He said that, not me.

Face it FanBoys, Apple screwed their professional customer base but good here.

Miraculously, the next morning, Apple quietly put the older FCP7 support page back on their site. Clearly, they are aware of how angry the industry is at them. But I have to wonder if they'll actually do any backpedalling now.
    Jobs and Apple are notorious for their arrogance so, perhaps this is what it is...
    As for me, I work on Avid. It has always been rock-solid and is a workhorse that supports all professional formats and is fast, flexible & intuitive.
    I truly feel sorry for so many of my friends & clients who are now wondering what to do with all they invested in with Apple's Final Cut.

An interesting time indeed.
  3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

4. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Well, some of us were unlucky to buy the MDD G4 POS Macs that Apple had the nerve to sell to Audio pros, many who had their computers in their control rooms, due tot he fact that no other Mac EVER made the super loud vacuum like noise this specific model did.

In the end Apple did a few things that kinds helped but never admitted anything, even though the specific machine I owned had about 6 visits to the Apple repaid depot to get logic boards, cpu's and fan kits replaced to make the thing work, and maybe even a bit quieter.

Again, not Logic specific, rather verification that Apple is rally nothing more than a faceless corporation who has Steve Jobs as the "face"... I discovered that there is no Santa, easter bunny, or honor when it comes to any major company such as the all important (in our case) Apple Computer Inc.
  5. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Wow Mark, they took the video down less than 4 minutes after you posted this link... bummer.
  6. Markdvc

Hehe, I wonder if the LUG is that well read, George!
    It was a clip form the COnan O'Brien show, his editors put together a little token of their appreciation, something to show how "wonderful" they thought FCP-X was. Very funny.

kind regards

7. charlie

charlie Senior member

Apple speaks!

This is way worse than a version .01 of software.
    Upgrade? Not on this planet!
    They "hope to" make most of the features that were its' pillars of strength up & running in the near future?
    Seriously, no professional will upgrade to this for a few versions I am sure!
    -IF they can wait that long...
    My favorite bit was that to accomplish certain outputs and exports you need to either use Automatic Duck (which isn't that cheap if I remember,) and buy their Compressor software for $40-something dollars.

These aren't solutions, they are band-aids on gaping wounds!

But even Apple could not ignore the flak they've been getting. This popped up on their site late today, I think.
    Love when a faceless corporation acknowledges their customers... In any form.
    Yay for us.
  8. Markdvc

9. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hey Mark,

Those two vides are priceless! Thanks for posting:D
  10. JuanTahnahmahrah

JuanTahnahmahrah Senior member

Vitriolic stuff! Mein fuhrer, indeed!

I have been using Sony's Vegas since v. 7, and with the added support of Boris Complete, it has evolved into something way beyond my needs. With 7, if you wanted Boris, your choice was Adobe, Avid or FCP. Things change. Vegas 10 does a great job with multi-camera, keyframes and even has a mixer and plug-ins.

I must admit, I was envious of FCP users, but now I am re-thinking my wish list.

Will Logic become EOL with the release of Garage Band Pro? How will I ever score "Space Odyssey 2020" without it?
  11. charlie

charlie Senior member

My only issue with Sony is that they are similar to Apple in that you never know when they're going to yank the plug on a particular piece of gear.
    If I had a dollar for all the times I had heard (from the Sony reps themselves,) that Vegas was being killed at the end of a given year, I'd... well, I'd have a fist full o' dollars!

Every morning I kiss my Avid. With all of its' issues, it's still the most stable, powerful and flexible editor out there. (I admit to only trying Vegas when it was a V1.0 years back...)
    I think the more competition that is out there, the better we all are!
  12. Markdvc

LOL - I wish I had a dollar for every rumour post I read over the years about the imminent demise of Logic .....

May I ask a question, Charlie? Is it possible/sensible to run Media Composer purely native, without one of the various hardware systems - AJA, Matrox, Mojo etc?

kind regards

13. charlie

charlie Senior member

14. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

No. :)

The audio market and video market are profoundly different.

1) The video market is orders of magnitude larger than the audio market. Turning FCPX into a consumer application has the potential to net Apple tens of millions of customers, since everyone has a video camera in their phone now. Not everyone plays an instrument, or wants to multi-record music. Moreover, while everyone may want to share their family vacation, not everyone wants to share music they made. In other words, while there's a potential market of "video enthusiast" who has no interest in "pro" video editing but could be convinced to buy an advanced application, there really isn't a "music enthusiast" market of people who aren't interested in recording but could be sold a DAW. So the financial incentive just isn't there.

2) GarageBand (and GarageBand for iPad) really are as "pro" as an non-musician would think to want. iMovie is not.

So while I fully expect Logic to adopt all the latest Lion technologies and features (the way that FCPX looks very "Lion ready" now) I don't expect the change to go so far that they remove key features to try to chase the iPad user crowd.