1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 7 & earlier Apple Loops, .caf files Problem

Discussion in 'Logic 7 and older Versions' started by mtjkeys, Feb 6, 2010.

1. mtjkeys

mtjkeys Member

Been awhile LUGs. I have an annoying thing going on. I use loops a lot. About 2 years ago (or more) I installed my son's version of Final Cut Express on my computer and never registered it or really even used it (I just wanted to check it basically). It seems AFTER I did that when I would select a loop in the loop browser that should be a midi loop I get the error message: "the name".caf" - What kind of file is this?. This has seriously decreased the number of loops I can access. Can anyone answer? Running 7.1.1 on 10.4.11. Thank You. Tim

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

CAF is a new audio file format Apple created when Logic 8 came out. It stands for core audio format. It's basically a "container" that can hold several different types of file formats within it. It's main advantage is that you can bypass the 2 GB files size limit.

Since L8, Apple has shipped all the included apple loops in this new format. Logic 7 doesn't recognize CAF files.

4. mtjkeys

mtjkeys Member

Okay. Understand (I think). So basically I need to reinstall ALL my loops so 7.1.1 will recognize them again? They worked before, because some of the loops were already being used in songs, projects I had previously recorded, then they didn't work. Is this what I need to do?

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Yup. Reinstalling the old aiff versions should work just fine.

6. mtjkeys

mtjkeys Member

So, finally. Did installing Final Cut Express screw up my loops library? I got rid of FCE, but are there any lingering extensions, etc. of FCE that could still affect my loops after I reinstall all my loops? Thank you for your time. Tim

7. Eli

Eli Senior member

You'll need to reindex your loop browser with the new loops. But other than that, I don't think you should have any other problems.

8. mister bird

mister bird New Member

Hi I just jumped from Logic 7 to Logic 9,When opening Logic 7 songs my apple loops don't open in Logic 9.I see they are now caf. files.How do I get the original loops from L7 into L9,any ideas?

9. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

You too may need to re-install the loops. And possibly index them at that point. I think the install of L9 replaces the .aif files with the .caf files if you don't pay attention to what is being installed where.