Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 Apple + S, G5 and 9

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by HKC, Aug 5, 2009.

1. HKC

HKC Senior member

There seem to be no end to the irregularities that I experience with Logic 9 on a G5. It turns out that the standard Apple save command apple + S doesn't work. All the other ones like "save as" and using the apple key as a modifier works as expected but not this to say the least rather important one. It cost me a couple of hours work today and I have to warn other people who think about upgrading while running a G5. Apple aren't all wrong when they say it's Intel only.
  3. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

Yes, Apple web site says:

Over here it runs fine on my Macbook, but I never bothered installing on the G5.
  4. Eddie Sullivan

Eddie Sullivan Senior member

It could be your keyboard... we've been getting all sorts of issues with new keyboards on old machines... what keyboard do you have?
  5. HKC

HKC Senior member

Logitech of some kind. Strange that "save as" works though since it also involves the apple and s key. Like the G5 it's almost 5 years old so it's certainly a possibility.
    Just to clear all doubt, I have no problems with this. Like P Boysen points out there's no reason to think that it would work.
    I do find it a problem that the internet is full of mails from people who say that it runs very well on G5s. I think it's important to change this message fast and make people aware that upgrading while running a G5 will give you quite a few headaches.
  6. Maurits

Maurits Member

I find it hard to believe any of the problems you reported have got anything to do with your machine being a G5. Sure there will be bugs, and sure they will not be apparant on all machines, but whether cmd+S works surely has got nothing to do with processor family. (Have you checked whether the key command for save is actually still there? It's just a configurable key command like all the others. Maybe it got overwritten by something). The nasty thing in your situation is, that there is no use in reporting the bugs as long as nobody else finds them since you're running an unsupported system. But the specs on the Apple site told you that already.

The fact that Apple doesn't support the G5 for Logic 9 is simply due to the fact that they consider that processor too old (which means they can't guarantee it can keep up with everything they advertise about and they don't want another lawsuit like with the G3+OSX+DVD class action), while the fact that Logic 9 is still a universal binary shows that it has nothing directly to do with the Intel transition and they actually unofficially still WANT it to work on a G5 (just not in the juridical sense). :)

Now if they didn't test it thoroughly on a PPC there's bound to be some G5-specific problems but they won't be as high-level as cmd+S not working. More like timing problems and things like that.

So, if these really are bugs in Logic than Intel users will find them sooner or later too.

7. HKC

HKC Senior member

It's still there and set to the right command, I checked.
    I would agree with everything you say except I find it hard to believe that all the other little quirks I mention in the "A Few Observations" thread doesn't bother anybody but me so I choose to believe that most people don't experience them.
    I could be wrong but if I am I would say that Logic 9 is quite buggy at the moment. Normally a forum like this reacts pretty strongly to that and all I see is positive mails so that's why I figure that it must be the G5 that causes the problems.
    Obviously not that many people have the update yet and it's possible that over the next few weeks the tone will change but let's not hope so.
  8. Maurits

Maurits Member

And you also see a lot of people being happy with how it works on a G5, so if that's any indication then the processor can be ruled out as a cause. I think in both 'worlds' you'll see the problem reports appearing sooner or later. :)

I would be surprised if it wasn't. :) 9.1 is probably on the way.

I actually hope more ppl find the same problems as you, because then they can be reported to Apple as occurring on a 'supported' platform (though it might be worth it to report it anyway, for problems like these I don't think they'll be picky about the processor). I doubt the first release of a new major version is problemfree. Especially Logic. :)
  9. ignatius

ignatius New Member

works fine on my G5 but when i upgraded to 10.5 i had issues that were resolved when i upgraded the firmware on my eSATA card. before that though i had crashes, freezes and all kinds of bizarre behavior.
  10. HKC

HKC Senior member

What about the select objects with same colour in pianoroll, does that work on your G5
  11. Howard W

Howard W Member

It might be time to trash your Logic preferences.

Version 8 and 9 share the same plist.

I agree with Maurits, if Apple released a UB version you can bet it's been tested.

12. HKC

HKC Senior member

I did that...... I can´t remember if it was the same in Logic 8 but some functions like "Open", Save" etc can no longer be reasigned to have other shortcuts. I figure that it has something to do with that and the fact that my keyboard is a Logitech Cordless Access and not an Apple.
    The select by same colour works, it just turns out that now it only work on notes with the exact same colour (velocity) which makes it kind of useless for what I was using it for (selecting notes that were played too hard or too soft). I can do that with the the tranform function so no big deal but why would anybody want to select all notes with velocity 81 (ie).
  13. Eli

Eli Senior member

This might be completely unrelated - but I have noticed some strange behavior with key commands not working on L9 and I tracked down the problem to the new marquee zone part of the "smart" pointer tool.

It's happened to me several times already where I have inadvertently clicked somewhere in the Arrange Window and unknowingly was in the marquee zone and created the little single pixel playback stripe. This seemed to interfere with the functioning of some of the regular key commands.Of course once I discovered the problem, just clicking in the background returns things to normal.

I'm sure this is not the problem you are having, but I thought I'd throw it out there since this thread does have to do with key commands in L9.....
  14. HKC

HKC Senior member

I just found out that my Logic 9 key commands settings have for reason put in Apple + S as "nudge by samples" so it's used twice so that's why it didn't work. I have a print of how they were set up in 8 so I'm quite sure didn't put it in there.
    There have been a few others complaining about key command irregularities, maybe they should also check if the commands in question have 2 jobs.
  15. ignatius

ignatius New Member

when i put 10.5.7 on my G5 there was an apple firmware update for the apple keyboard. i have the USB numeric KB that is standard now i guess.
  16. HKC

HKC Senior member

Maybe so but I use a Logitech keyboard and like I described in the previous mail the real mystery is why Apple+S had two functions. Anyway it works now
  17. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

Make sure your CAPS LOCK isn't turned on.

Change the Save keycommand to something completely different (like Shift P or something unused that doesn't use the same keys as Command S). If it works it could be a problem with your keyboard or driver. If it doesn't work then the problem is more mysterious.

Sometimes a company won't actively cripple software so it doesn't work with a class of processors. In the case of Universal Binary (this means: works on Intel and PPC), it'll fundamentally work on PPC whether it's tested or not. The only difference being is that not every bug that happened on Intel might have happened on PPC, and some bugs that might have happened on PPC might not have happened on Intel. Furthermore, some bugFIXES on Intel might not have translated exactly on PPC. That's the nature of computers: not all hardware combinations have identical ramifications even if the software combinations are the same.