Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Assignment controller - reversing

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by sealpt, Dec 17, 2009.

1. sealpt

sealpt New Member

Hi guys,

On the controller assignments, does anyone know how to reverse what the assignment actually does?

Here is what I'm after:

I want to have two bus sends going out of my current channel. I know I can assign these bus on/off's with one flip of a controller button, but what I want to do is while one turns on, the other turns off. I know that I can do this sort of thing with effects in like the stompbox, or bypasses in any effect. Just assign them both and manual turn one off. When you hit the controller the off turns on as the on turns off.

The only way I can see a way to do this in busses is to somehow modify the parameters in the controller assignment window itself. I'm basically looking for a "reverse" switch for lack of a better term.

Turning one bus on manually while the other is off doesn't do the trick. At the push of the controller button, the on bus stays on while the off button turns on to meet it. From then on they are both syncronized with both being on, or both being off.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your help.
    Shawn

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

There is no reverse function. You can do it in the environment, by connecting the two channelstrips through transformers. But the range of send knobs does not work as you expect by simply reversing one of them. You will need to reverse the messages and afterwards set a second or more transformers to do some mathematical conversions. Add, sub, scale, expression, whatever you need. Or use just one transformer and draw your own transformer map.

4. JuanTahnahmahrah

JuanTahnahmahrah Senior member

It is possible to use automation to "insert" a bypass to an effect. Such as if you want to clip precisely a reverb tail (at a sharp break in the mix). Not exactly sure if that is what you asking. This method inserts a node in an automation track that turns on or off whatever effect you would be manipulating. This is done in the "Automation Parameter" menu. If you open that menu, you then would select "Main" -- another list displays, and you should see "Insert #x byp" at the bottom of the list (below volume, pan, solo and mute).

5. sealpt

sealpt New Member

Thanks guys, I'll look into both of those options.

Shawn

6. Petrosil

Petrosil Member

That's pretty simple. Just change the value in the "Multiplier" field of an assignment in Expert view to "-1.00" instead "1.00". This will invert the value range of the assignment.

Best...

Manfred

7. sealpt

sealpt New Member

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Shawn

8. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

:rolleyes:

9. sealpt

sealpt New Member

No problem at all. I had actually found a solution for what I wanted to do, but this is good information and I'll actually explore the first path again because of it.

Thank you,
    Shawn