Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Audio dropout on new iMac

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by peterlemer, Apr 8, 2016.

1. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

I posted this in another thread but it's getting more serious so I want to highlight my problem.
    Since installing a new iMac ( late 2014) I have had a variety of audio dropouts which I've ascribed to a variety of causes which I thought I had addressed.

Today, I've loaded a full project for the first time and am still getting dropout on the stereo bus.

I transferred my project from external THB drive to my main fusion drive, including all the audio, and it still drops out.

Normally out on Fireface800, I've tried running on iMic audio and Internal audio and it still drops out.

I am stumped, unless I include some discussions elsewhere suggesting that either/both the fusion drive or the new(ish) chipset are unhealthy for audio.

Another 'feature' is that Activity monitor reports >1.5 Gb kernel task, so am troubleshooting that atm.

Meanwhile any other ideas? I'm getting nervous now about my ability to undertake full-on engineering/mixing/producing projects

3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Pete, reading your signature, you have an up to date and reasonably fast computer, plenty of RAM, reliable Audio Hardware etc.

I wonder whether the type of project you are runnig may be causing problems. Do you have a lot of VIs? If so, have you tried freezing or BIPing some of them? Perhaps try to isolate which tracks/instruments may be causing the problems. While it may often be misread, the performance meter in Logic may also give a clue as to what is happening, whether some individual cores are CPU peaking, or whether it is possibly a HD read issue? Are you running double sample (88,2 or 96 khz) audio?

Just a few spontaneous ideas, sorry if they occurred to you already but maybe there are some starting points.

kind regards

4. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Hi Mark, as with my previous post about this identical problem, I discovered that my Ozone 5 plugin was in demo mode! Of course that would explain audio dropout as my plugin is on the stereo buss :-( Perhaps my earlier reported instance was Ozone 6 ( which is also authorised) and this current project used Ozone 5 which I hadn;t yet re-authorised. This , if true, is a hazard of relocating computers and drives.

I shall continue working on the project today and report back whether the issue has resolved

5. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for letting us know Pete - glad it turned out to be something easily solved without having to resort to endless trial and error :)

kind regards

6. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

It's great to find obvious diagnoses like this!

However I would no longer trust a fusiondrive. I have a new full spec imac (late 2015). The Applestore "genius" assured me it would be no problem, however I was soon getting dropouts, and a further investment in TB SSD drive seems to have sorted it.