Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X audio dropouts on new iMac

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by peterlemer, Nov 30, 2015.

1. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

My Lovely Mac Pro has died, and I've replaced it with much faster ( apparently) 27" 3.5G iMac.
    I kept my projects and samples on 2 separate drives in the Mac Pro, and I've installed them in a FusionQR ( Formac) chasssis.

I linked via USB3 to start with, on the assumption that USB3 was faster then FW800, but I had audio drops, so I switched to thunderbolt+adaptor+FW800, and I'm /still/ having drops.

The project is dead simple, 1 audio region at a time.

Can anyone shed light on this problem?

My immediate solution is to buy a Drobo5D thunderbolt chassis - is this a good idea?

cheers

pete

3. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

For a start, I would copy one or two of the projects and samples directly on to your iMac drive and test them. Is it a newish iMac with Fusion or Solid State?

My gut feeling would be that if you need more storage space, then it would be best to go purely thunderbolt now, rather than Firewire 800 or USB3.

4. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

yeah, brand new iMac with fusion. Will try your suggestion, thanks

My instinct, based on the past 10 years, is that it's best to keep my projects isolated on a separate disc to my main drive, also for backup purposes ( I use only SuperDuper and Time Machine), and another disc ( velociraptor 10krpm) for samples.

5. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Me too, but I also have a new iMac and I'm testing the idea of having everything on the main (fusion) drive.

6. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

what I've been missing perhaps, d'Oh!, is that neither FW800 nor USB3 are as fast as the internal Mac Pro drive bus. Do you happen to have any figures, however approximate?

pete

7. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

O dear, the problem has slipped sideways. I thought the dropouts might be due to the new chassis and the thunderbolt/FW800 adaptors so I did as you suggested and brought the project on board my startup drive.

Still got dropout!.

So I ejected the external chassis, disconnected the cable, and delivered the audio from thunderbolt/FW to my RME Fireface800.

Still got dropout!

So I disconnected the thunderbolt connection and continued via iMic USB and...

still got dropout.

I'm not getting engine overload messages or synchronous peaks on the CPU core monitor.

Again, this is a very simple audio project, 3 mics, at most 4 audio regions.

I've even increased the I/O buffer size from 128 to 256. No effect. Worried now,

The audio output level meter doesn't drop when this happens.

OOPS!. it does! sorry

8. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

stand easy guys - when I checked my output plugins, OZONE 6 says it is in demo mode. This is probably the source of my problems. Re-authorising everything is quite a mission :) watch this space. With Ozone disabled I am getting no dropouts.

9. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Well spotted Pete, and thanks for posting the solution!

kind regards

Mark

10. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Much relief, and I'd like an answer to this question ( I asked it earlier but it probably got lost in the drama of my panic):
    What are the data speed differences between an 7200 rpm drive on an internal bay in a Mac Pro, the same drive in an external bay connected via USB3, or connected with a thunderbolt-to-FW800 adaptor, or a direct thunderbolt connection? and lastly the fusion drive on my new iMac? I understand that specific figures are not available in general, but are there any ballpark comparisons?

11. Hakan Tuna

Hakan Tuna New Member

Hi everyone, i am new to this forum and needed help regarding fusion drive problems that i have been reading about. I am looking at purchasing a new imac, but do want to make a wrong purchase, need to get which ever system works best with logic x, the choice is between a fusion drive (3TB fusion drive) or a 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm, i will be maxing out the ram to 32GB (on a 3.2GHz 27 inch imac). I did not know where else to post this question, and seeing as though you guys have been discussing this i thought i would ask here, been reading many horror stories about logic and fusion drives, shall i just stick with the serial ata drive that i know and love? any advice is greatly appreciated, i am ready to buy so any advice to point me in the right direction is a great help. Thanks

12. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Hi Hakan Tuna, The fusion drive has given me no problems so far. It makes a huge difference in startup time and loading applications - much faster than ever before :) I am also running the current project with all the audio on the fusion drive as well, as suggested by Pete Thomas ( above) - with no hiccups

13. Hakan Tuna

Hakan Tuna New Member

Thanks for the advice...

14. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

months down the line: I've bought a G-Technology 4-drive thunderbolt chassis and sadly when I run an album project, I get audio dropout. My feeling is to copy the project to my home fusion drive, work on there, then copy back to my external.

I hadn't realised that THB external was way worse than the old Intel Pro internal drive.

pete