Logic Pro (X) audio interface and virtual instrument?

Wuiyeonkim

Logician
My question is whether I really need audio interface or not. Most of time I work with various virtual instruments, mainly with stuff in logic, EastWest and Vienna collection. Then some mix and mastering with bounced wave files or other sources. I don't experience any serious latency issue. In this situation, Do I really need an audio interface? I even don't have mics.:confused:

You have an audio interface, it is in your Mac, the internal interface. Otherwise you would not hear any sound. The quality is not bad but not as good as most external interfaces even if you connect good speakers.

If you do not want to buy an external interface right now, you can first optimize your monitoring situation. The room, speaker positions and so on. This is a lot of work and there is a lot to learn. For the first couple of months more important than a fancy interface.

Upvote 0
FWIW I was going to say the same thing as Peter. :) Also, you don't mention what Mac you have, but if it has digital audio output, you can always get a higher quality digital-to-analog output only interface, so you can get a higher quality analog sound to your speakers.

Orren

Upvote 0
Thanks all. My question was about 'external' interface. So, you all mean that I need good A/D, D/A converter for monitoring. Well, I know I definitely need good monitoring environment especially for mixing and mastering. BUT, a headphone is the only thing I have now. I believe none of you said that the quality of audio interface (including internal one) does not change the quality of audio file bounced from sample instruments (before mixing).

Upvote 0
Thanks all. My question was about 'external' interface. So, you all mean that I need good A/D, D/A converter for monitoring.

If the only thing you need is to convert the digital sound from your computer into analog so you can hear it, than you only need D/A (digital to analog). If you will never record anything from the outside (analog) world into your computer, you will not need A/D conversion.

I believe none of you said that the quality of audio interface (including internal one) does not change the quality of audio file bounced from sample instruments (before mixing).

Correct.

Orren

Upvote 0
Back