1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 7 & earlier Audio interface

Discussion in 'Logic 7 and older Versions' started by jhefler, May 9, 2009.

1. jhefler

jhefler New Member

What do you guys think:

1.) RME RAydat
    2.) Apogee Ensemble or
    3.) RME Fireface 800?

I have one PC slave that I use optical (outs and ins) that need to go to the interface

I'd like room for another optical set so that just about excludes the apogee ensemble as it only has one pair of optical ins (and for 2 grand thats a bit silly)

I dont record live instruments at all.

I have another computer that goes to my existing audio interface but I just use the analogs for that.

RME is tempting because of its audio routing capabilities and the Ensemble is interesting since it integrates with Logic so well. The Fireface bothers me because its firewire and not internal...

Any thoughts?

3. paulnajar

paulnajar Senior member

I'd go the Raydat as it's the only one you mention that will give the lower latency performance of a PCIe solution.

Also I may get corrected on this as I'm not an Apogee user but I can see no tangible "performance" benefit of Apogee's supposed better software integration in Logic over the RME.

Regards

4. mattrixx

mattrixx Senior member

I agree with Paul.. definitely RME if you are wanting the flexibility you mentioned earlier.
    Just and addition to Pauls post in regard to latency though. I have both a PCI based HDSP multiface (in a Dual G5) and the Fireface 800. If you are running a newish 8 core (mine's a Jan '08 model) you will have no problem running it at 32 samples (I/O buffer) on even the largest sessions. The game has changed with the advent of the new faster machines.

5. jhefler

jhefler New Member

Thanks guys. I'm was leaning towards the RAyDat but unfortunately I'm reading on RME's forum some real problems with Apps like Logic playing well with Multiple standalones. In other words - one of the things that excited me about the RME stuff is the ability to loop back the audio into Logic. Apparently (and no one knows why) but you cant have more than one standalone working. i.e. you cant have say K3 standalone with PLAY or 2 PLAYS, etc. Now those with older drivers I've talked to are NOT having these issues but RME is denying that the drivers are the issue. Not really interested in blaming anyone - I just want a system that works so I'm leaning BACk towards the Ensemble now...

6. mattrixx

mattrixx Senior member

RME were right regarding their denial that the drivers are the problem.

I have had confirmation by Native Instruments tech support and up until now they haven't been fully conforming to the Core Audio standard. However, I have been testing Kontakt 3.5beta for a few months now and I'm happy to (and allowed to) report that they have changed things and it works really well with RME drivers now.
    So if that's what is influencing your decision then I'd say that things have improved. BTW Kontakt 3.5 is a huge improvement over 3.

7. jhefler

jhefler New Member

Ah - good to hear. I do like K3.5 a lot as well. But its odd that if you had 2 or more East West PLAY engines open that it does not play well with RME either. Hmmmmm.

8. mattrixx

mattrixx Senior member

Mmmm, I can't peak for the EW stuff... I don't use it, but I wonder if they are in a similar situation.

9. whinecellarstudio

whinecellarstudio New Member

Hi J,

As Paul said above, the Ensemble's "integration" with Logic is really not much of an advantage IMO - it just puts things in Logic's menus as opposed to having to open RME's TotalMix. However, TotalMix is LIGHT YEARS beyond anything from any other developer, and far outweighs the Apogee approach in my experience.

Put it this way: either way, you have to click something to get to your routing & I/O settings - might as well click on something better for your hard-earned dollar ;-) No disrespect to Apogee - the Ensemble is a fine product - I just don't think the Logic integration adds any real value. Also, with a Fireface 800 you get a good bit more I/O and advanced features for a bit less cash than an Ensemble.

Just my $.02

10. jhefler

jhefler New Member

Thanks guys. I am looking for a fireface on ebay now.

11. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

I just got an RME HDSPe-AIO and I am really liking it.

12. jhefler

jhefler New Member

That looks good too Jay. I am a bit of an idiot where the RAYdat and pcie type cards go. I am used to firewire type interfaces. If I had for example the card you have there and installed that on my Mac where is it that I connect say for example 2 or 3 slave computers that all have light pipe optical ins and outs? I guess what Im confused about is what does the pcie card go to? How do you hook up monitors to it also?

13. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

Well for that amount of Lightpipe you would need more than this card, which only has 1 ADAT lightpipe (8 I/O) in. I may eventually add the RayDat card if I decide I need more Lightpipe.

I am not sure about what you a asking when you say "where does the PCI-e card go?" It goes in a PCI-e slot in the computer.

It has a breakout cable for attaching to monitors.

14. jhefler

jhefler New Member

I see. thanks. Yeah thats what I wondered. How do you get the audio eventually to the monitors. What KIND of a cable is it? So if you wanted to go to an AMP you can do that as well I'm assuming.

I am just trying to figure out the signal flow. Right now I go from an rack mount firewire audio interface to a Mixer. An AMP goes to the mixer. THe monitors are connected to the AMP as well.