1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio module for just playing piano?

Discussion in 'Audio Units: Effect and Instrument Plugins' started by ReallyRandy, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ReallyRandy

ReallyRandy New Member

Is there a piece of software out there I can use to just play piano sounds with my MIDI controller without having to open Logic or Garage Band?

I'd like to just plug in my keyboard, open a small footprint app and play piano, anybody know of anything like that?

TIA

randy

3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Pianoteq, awesome piano sound, and the player version is about $100, it's a very good modeled piano sound, so no 200GB of samples to install.

You can try it put first with the demo...
    http://www.pianoteq.com

4. Uwe Rodi

Uwe Rodi Member

5. georgelegeriii

Well, the price isn't too bad ($180 VS 99) but the "+ 1 year of support and updates" makes me really nervous. I've never seen software with a 1 year update policy.

I've downloaded the demo and I'll let you know what I think (not that that's any think to consider, it's always the buyers own ears that are important).

6. Uwe Rodi

Uwe Rodi Member

I use it since 2008 and never had to pay for an update :)

7. Eli

Eli Senior member

I have to say, I am a huge fan of Truepianos as well. It is my go to piano.

8. georgelegeriii

So it is sampled or what?

9. Eli

Eli Senior member

No, it's modeling. It doesn't take a lot of memory or cpu, sounds good without much tweaking, etc. Feels responsive to touch. Very "playable" IMHO.

10. Uwe Rodi

Uwe Rodi Member

I played it live via Mainstage for about 3 1/2 years in several bands (Blues, Rock-Opera, Pop Duo …) Just stopped with it cause I bought a Nord Stage 2 some months ago, so I normally don´t need the macbook anymore for live playing.

11. EastWest Lurker

EastWest Lurker Senior member

I don't personally like the modeled pianos, they sound plastic-ish to my ears. If you have a good Kontakt or Play sample based library, you can just open Kontakt or Play in Standalone mode and use it.