1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Audio output inferior on new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by canalstreet1, Jul 2, 2015.

1. canalstreet1

canalstreet1 New Member

Hey All.
    I've been using logic proX (10.0.7) for some time now..
    Running on a MacBook Pro (2010) focusrite 616 interface / Yamaha studio monitors
    Great sound!
    The 2012 machine has been dying for 6 months (I suspect video card) - tried all appropriate trouble shooting.
    finally in the interest of keeping moving I purchased a new box.
    MBP 15 - 2.5 - screaming fast - love it!.
    Logic seems to operate normally, but the actual SOUND of the output is not quite as good as on the old box.
    Very subtle change. almost imperceptible (but were talking music here) stereo image is less clear, and seems to lack presence in the lower mids.
    to be clear... when I compare a bounced mix created on the old box against the same project file bounced on the new box, the sound is identical.. (logic is working correctly), but when I listen to those same 2 files across the 2 boxes (old and new) they are subtly different (very subtly)
    Anyone else experience this?
  3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Are you comparing the internal sound of the two macs, or the sound with both using the focusrite interface?

kind regards

4. canalstreet1

canalstreet1 New Member

well, both, I'm at work right now... A-B ing using headphones moving from machine to machine playing same file.
    last night immediately after install I listened briefly in the studio through the focusright. familiar mixes sounded unfamiliar to me.
    I'll test more thoroughly later today to be sure.
    I have very experienced ears but as you may you know, psychology can play a role . Am I imagining this??
    Thanks Mark
  5. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

I can't imagine how the same audio played through the same software and the same audio interface on two different macs can sound different. I can imagine that the same file played through different audio hardware - i.e. the internal sound card and converters - on two different macs could sound different. The only way to be sure is to conduct a double blind A-B test.

kind regards

6. canalstreet1

canalstreet1 New Member

yeah, I know it's illogical.
    but I just spent an hour in studio doing comprehensive A/B tests.
    Old box / new box - there IS a subtle difference - I'd need to actually scope the room to describe it with any real clarity, but the best I can come up with is a "lack of harmonics". just a bit flat.
    pretty bummed - Any one heard of this??
  7. canalstreet1

canalstreet1 New Member

Ok, I know this is out of the normal scope of the forum, but I'm looking for any bits of info that might help me.
    I just swapped out the new MacBookPro I mentioned earlier with another unit (hoping for some sort of build error??).
    Apple's awesome abut that (no questions asked..."here's another box")
    I'm building the system now, but this time I'm not migrating from the 2012 box but doing clean installs (starting with LPX and all additional content) I'm wondering if it's possible or likely the the migrate process doesn't really install pro level apps correctly.
    I've seen that happen with my big towers at the studio.
    Any thoughts on that?
    I'll know soon but the downloads will be another hour.
    Thanks Y'all
  8. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Unlikely. There is the operating system and within the system are the "modules" CoreAudio and CoreMidi. All music applications use these two. An application installer can miss some of it's own things (bug), install corrupted files (failed download i.e.) or write files to a wrong place (bug), but I do not believe that such problems would result in different sound. This is basically what Mark said. CoreAudio is CoreAudio, therefore the sound of two machines with the same OSX should be the same if you go digitally to the same audio interface.

You could try the "phase-null" method (don't know the correct term) by connecting interface outputs to inputs by cables and record the interface output on both computers. Then put the recordings into one project and reverse the phase of one of them. If the regions are perfectly sample-aligned, this should produce silence. If not, and if there is no clock jitter or another uncertainty in the interface, there may be a difference on computer level.

I can think of two of issues which could affect the sound subtly:
    1. Different CoreAudio
    2. Clock
  9. canalstreet1

canalstreet1 New Member

OK, so...
    the saga continues... this is really just to inform other users.
    The New MBP is full of problems (fresh build) flashing screen - keychain errors - logic randomly dropping plug ins - not to mention, It SIMPLY DOESN'T SOUND GOOD.
    I'm not a pro engineer (anymore) but I'm no noob either..
    Apple tells me this particular rev of the MBP is brand new (within weeks) and they made some substantial "upgrades" to the hardware and across the system.
    I have to suspect they stole some juice from core audio and used it to support the cute little animating screens or talking UI.
    I work in the film industry and we have watched as Apple has abandoned Pro users for years now.
    At this point I'm thinking I'm going to return this machine and buy a refurb (older rev)
    So, just a heads-up, It is my considered opinion that the newest MBP's don't work well with Logic (if you have ears anyway)
    Thanks for the advise folks.
  10. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

That's a rather unique view of how computers work.

Have you examined the audio settings used across the two machines? Latency, bit rate, sample rate, etc.