Logic Pro 8 Audio playback cuts of when puncing in

triptyboy

Logician
I'm new to logic. ( I have logic 8 ) the audio playback of my tracks
cuts out briefly whenever i punch in during recording. I cuts out for
a slightly longer time when i punch out . i can't figure out why.
I've tried many different buffer settings and recorded to different hard drives.
ANY SUGGESTIONS ? MARC

the thing about POTF is that it is actually recording all the time you just cant" see" it until you push record.. thus it can create large files that are full of unused space. try it..

engage punch on the fly mode and then start before where you want to punch.. once youve punched out youll see that you can drag either end to lengthen the region past where you "saw" the punch... thus creating a much larger region that you only need a part of..
thats why its not engaged all the time.. as you would create a lot of dead region space that eats your hard drive..
so .. only engage it when you actually need it...

and convert the regions to new audio files to get rid of all that dead space

Upvote 0
It seems silly that you would ever WANT the option of not being
able to punch in on the fly.

That's really a personal workflow preference. I've tried it, don't use it. I know some people really like the feature. I know a lot more who don't use it. Again, personal preference.

Upvote 0
Hi Doug: If you do not use this function at all,how do you deal with ALL the playback
audio muting momentarily when you punch in and out? Is this just a problem that I'm
having ? I've used LIVE , DP and STUDIOVISION and never encountered this.
Also even with punch in on the fly engaged - If i use record toggle i experience this
dropout. MARC

Upvote 0
I use auto punch - it works fine and there is no audio drop out like you're talking about - at least I haven't noticed it.

This will not work if you need to be spontaneous - it does require just a little prep.

What's your system? PPC? Intel? I'm on a PPC with 10.4.11 and no drop out like you mention with auto punch. I do think you're not the first to complain about POTF - I do seem to remember it being squirrelly. One reason I never use it.

Upvote 0
I use POTF with Record/Record Toggle the same way I used to punch in on a tape deck all the time and it works flawlessly here, with the exception that sometimes I do not hear the first click from the Klopgeist while punching in.

My guess Triptyboy is that it has something to do with your audio interface, buffer size choice, etc. To test, try switching to built-in audio and see if the behavior corrects itself.

Upvote 0
I've tried all different buffer sizes. I'm on a Dual core 3 Ghz intel XEON MAC 5 Gb RAM
OSX 10.4.11. I do have an older 2408 interface. i will try built in audio and using
autopunch and see what happens. THANKS MARC

Upvote 0
Back