Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Automating CC data

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Colin Shapiro, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

To all the Logic wizards out there:

Is there an easy way to get Logic to record CC (controller) data as automation?

By default, when you look at the options for track automation, you get Volume, Pan, Solo and Mute. If there is a plugin loaded, you probably get lots of preset parameters for that too.

If I want to record CC14 or CC20 for example, I do this:
    I set a hardware controller (or a fader in the environment) to that CC no (eg 14)
    I select my track and record the fader movements.
    I now have a region with Control data that shows in the event list.
    I then select View/Hyperdraw/Autodefine to show the data in the region.
    I then select Track/Track Automation/Move Visible Region data to Track Automation.

After that whole schlepp, I have CC14 as Track Automation data. But if I want CC20 as well, I have to go through the whole story once more.

Am I being completely stupid here? Is there an easier way to do this?
    I see no way to select CC nos from any list for Track Automation.

Any solutions will be most welcome....

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

There is no easier way to do this unless you map the controller messages directly to plugin paramters via Controller Assignments.

Why do you need your CCs as track automation? Region automation is not bad.
  4. composerguy78

composerguy78 Member

Two tips:

1. If you record these CC numbers often, you should record these CC numbers into a template. That way it's easier to find.
    2. There is a key command for your last step.

-I realize you may already be using these!
    hope that helps,
  5. Colin Shapiro

I do use region-based automation for CC data but I've been playing with the track-based version lately. With region-based, you either end up with very cluttered event lists (unless you hide CC data) or you end up with extra tracks of automation regions.

With track-based, you can open lots of lanes which only need to be displayed in chosen screensets.

This all arose because because the new Vienna Instruments Pro plugin doesn't have any built-in automatable parameters (yet)....
  6. Colin Shapiro

Thanks Felix. What kind of template are you referring to? (Automation quick access?)

I do use as many key commands as possible, but had not gotten around to using that one....
  7. composerguy78

composerguy78 Member

Hi Colin,

I just mean your default project template. -If you do not do this already, this would save you a heap of time but I doubt you would be making this kind of post if you did not have a default project template with all your instruments, screensets etc set up and ready to go.

If you do a search in the key commands window for 'Move Visible Region data to Track Automation' you can assign a key command to this.

The guy I used to work for worked in this way and had your exact complate. He was very happy however when he found that key command!
  8. Colin Shapiro

Hi again Felix

Yes, I have a template which I keep updating and refining all the time.

I don't see how I could include CC no's in a blank template though. I just tried and you have to leave some automation data on the track, otherwise that particular CC no disappears off the list.

Also, you'd then have to copy the data to new tracks to enable that CC automation on another track. seems like I have a feature request brewing....

Thanks for your help