Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Beat mapping and quantizing

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by edurbrow, Dec 11, 2012.

1. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

I'm not understanding something, but I'm not sure what. I beat mapped an audio file and then put in some midi parts. The beat mapping was not perfect and I endeavored to correct it. Every time I change a beat map sync point, the midi notes move. Okay. I want to re-quantize the midi notes after each tweak to the beat mapping, but they don't want to line up on the beat. They quantize but they are offset. Turning quantize off and trying again doesn't help.
    TIA

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Are your MIDI regions rounded to the bar (or to the beat). I'd be willing to bet the problem is your MIDI region boundaries not lining up to even grid increments.

4. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

By rounded, do you mean the edge lines up on the first beat of the bar? In my case, some do and some don't. Would that be a 'best practice'? For example, if I were starting on the third beat, would it be better to make the region from the beginning of the bar or would beginning on a beat be enough?
    I don't know why some are not on the bar, but I guess, that they started on the bar, because the only way I've found to create a midi region is to use the pencil tool and it always starts at the beginning of a bar, but that when I moved the beat mapping they got off.
    I also ran into the problem of beat mapping disappearing when I accidentally hit "1" and got a new arrange window.
    Thanks Eli.

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

If it's rounded to an even beat, you're okay. But if it is starting at an odd tick location; like for example: 3 1 2 125 or something like that, that is what is going to mess up your quantization.