Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 Beat Mapping

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by David51, Mar 14, 2009.

1. David51

David51 Senior member

I caused my first "force quit" while trying to understand the manuals instructions for this [page 863 + 77] I had recorded one part of a duet and was trying to work around the not yet functional comping bug using the old copy and paste method[ one virtual instrument-no effects ]with Logic Express 8.0.2 on a PPC Mini with 1 GB RAM, 1.5GHz, 10.4.11[I am going to replace the Mini,even though it has done well for it's specs, as soon as more is known about the new Nethalem chip-if the new Mini uses two of these I think it would handle LE much better, otherwise it's a refurbished iMac with Intel Duo not PPC. Has anyone gotten beat mapping going for non percussion Audio files?
    Thanks for any help on this.

3. SimonInAustralia

SimonInAustralia New Member

The new Mac Mini and iMac both have a single two core Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, not a four core Xenon Nehalem 3500 (or two four core Xeon Nehalem 5500's) like the new MacPro's.

If you want a Nehalem Mac, you are only going to get it in a MacPro tower.

4. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

First of all, I am a logic Pro user, please forgive me if I am wrongly assuming that some features I will mention that are in Logic Pro 8.0.2 are also available in Express 8.0.2.

At the risk of stating the obvious, Beat Mapping as a function is dependent on there being beats, or, more precisely put, transients in the audio material being analyzed. To quote from the Logic Pro manual, page 658 :

If these aren't there, you could try to make use of beat mapping from a midi region, to do so, you will first want to use audio to midi conversion to generate a midi region from your audio. Depending on the nature of the source audio material, this midi region may then have to be cleaned up in the piano roll, you will probably want it to contain only those notes which will be useful to beat map to.

HTH, kind regards

Mark

5. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Not me. At least my kind of audio material does not sound good with beat mapping.

But generally:

Although Pro Tools is ahead of Logic in the area of beatmapping, if your material does not contain well defined rhythmic peaks, any kind of beat mapping will rather fail. "Flowing" parts will definitely fail and for a signal that contains only weak rhythm you are forced to use manual correction quite extensively. Re-recording is often the better choice (if possible and if the musician can do it better).

6. chickenbackside

chickenbackside New Member

I sometimes record strings without a click as musicians respond and play better to my conducting rather than following a click track. And I will beat map after bringing home the session.

What I do is start a Logic session by choosing a tempo that's closest to the 1st few bars. I then record in a cowbell or some kind of percussive instrument according to the main beats of the song, and then beat map according to the percussive sound. It's simple enough to shift the MIDI until they're perfectly in time.

Sure it takes a bit time and effort to do, but for me, that's the fastest way to create a perfectly sync'd tempo map with non rhythmic tracks.

7. Ginger

Ginger Member

My first post - so: congratulations, admins, with the new and good looking forum!

Yes. I normally skip the Analyze bit and drag Beat Mapping lines directly onto the audio material (with control + shift, for precise placement).

But.... Beat Mapping in Logic has no "sound" - it doesn't alter the audio file in any way. It's just a reclocking process which moves the grid and adds tempo change events - maybe you think of Beat Detectiving?

8. bambony

bambony Administrator Staff Member

Hi Ginger

I think Peter uses the word 'sound good' euphemistically for 'function well' on non-percussive material.

And I think your method for dragging beat mapping lines directly into the material is a good solution.

Tony

9. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

I have no idea what euphemistically means but if Tony says so, he is certainly right. Yes, Ginger, I meant it euphemistically.

(or I just thought about another function and wrote nonsense)