Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

better integration with Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Logic Wishlist' started by alienimplant, Mar 14, 2009.

1. alienimplant

alienimplant Senior member

It is a mystery to me why Apple poured so much effort into Soundtrack when they had a better tool to start with in Logic Pro and even Logic Express that really should have been made more compatible with the Final Cut suite from the jump. I suppose it’s because they felt Soundtrack had a shallow learning curve; but Logic blows away Soundtrack in most respects, and Soundtrack’s few superior elements could have easily been pulled into Logic, some key features Logic users could definitely use.

One of the reasons I ran out to buy the entire Final Cut Pro suite was due to Soundtrack’s nondestructive noise reduction capability (why hasn’t this been ported to Logic?). I was thrilled initially, but imagine my horror when I realized it was far more beneficial to export an OMF file and import it into Logic than to work with Soundtrack. Note: It’s a good idea to change your tempo to 60, 30 or even 5 beats per minute before importing video, unless you have a very short video track or require a certain tempo for accompaniment (I’m just mixing audio in this example); this also underscores the ridiculous song length limitation in Logic which people have been complaining about for years. That desperately needs to be fixed. Important Tip: Leave the option to include crossfades unchecked during the export to OMF or Logic will most likely crash during the import process. I found this solution on Google after a long night of ripping my hair out.

The worst thing about Soundtrack (the reason it is useless to me) is its inability to deal properly with mono to stereo mix configurations. On the return trip from Soundtrack to Final Cut (when you are flipping the mix back into your project) bus chains are not included, so what’s the point? You would have to mix down all your tracks anyway, so you may as well use Logic for too many reasons to count.