Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic Studio apps Blocking unwanted incoming controller messages

Discussion in 'MainStage' started by BrianHV, Jun 29, 2012.

1. BrianHV

BrianHV New Member

The Mainstage 2.2 release notes claim "It is now possible to block unwanted incoming controller messages." However, I don't see the feature in the manual and haven't found it digging through the UI. Does anyone know how to do this?

To provide context, the problem I'm trying to solve is how to use a footswitch attached to my Roland keyboard to advance patches. No matter how I set the keyboard to transmit the footswitch messages, it transmits more than one message with different values. This leads to the patch advancing more than once with each press. I'm hoping to filter those messages so that Mainstage only responds to the one with the value of 127.
  3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

This thread: may help you out. I'm not sure that the problem is something this will fix.

It may be possible to change the Type menu selection in the Layout Screen Control inspector to get different results.

You may also want to look at a different type of pedal.
  4. Uwe Rodi

Uwe Rodi Member

First you have to block all the unassigned in Channel 1-16 on all devices.
    Then you have to assign a Layout Screen Control for your footswitch and manually change the Type to Press/Release.
    Maybe this helps?
    What sort of messages does your footswitch send? It sounds a bit like if you plugged a switch in a slot for expression Pedals.
  5. BrianHV

BrianHV New Member

Thanks to both of you. Doug, that thread looks like it addresses my question. Specifically, it looks as though that feature doesn't do what I expected it to do.

Uwe, I tried what you suggested and still didn't get the result I wanted. You're correct that I've plugged a switch into an expression slot. Unfortunately, this keyboard doesn't have any switch slots. I had a conversation with a tech at Roland and he confirmed there's no way to make the keyboard not send those "smoothing" messages.

I attempted several different approaches to solving this issue and posted about them here:

At this point it's looking like I'll either need a new keyboard or some device that I can put into my MIDI chain to filter those messages. That's unfortunate, since this problem is easily solved in software.