Logic Pro 9 Book: Using Logic Pro's Synthesizers

LMPaule

Logician
After what seems like a year on back order, Amazon has finally delivered Kevin Anker's new book Using Logic Pro's Synthesizers. I just got it so too early for any review. Its 500+ pages, so it should be a deep dive.

Time to start reading. :ipop:

After what seems like a year on back order, Amazon has finally delivered Kevin Anker's new book Using Logic Pro's Synthesizers. I just got it so too early for any review. Its 500+ pages, so it should be a deep dive.

The issue wasn't "backorder" it was that the book was still being written. :) Very often, titles will "feed" to the retailers as soon as the book has been contracted and work begins, but that doesn't mean it's ready to be read yet. In the best of circumstances, books take time to write, but there's often lots of delays, setbacks, and so on. So it's finally available now, for the first time--it wasn't available a year ago, and only now back in stock.

Time to start reading. :ipop:

Enjoy! It's a fantastic book, amazingly detailed and helpful. And in the interest of full disclosure, I served as editor (both content and technical editing) for the book. :thmbup:

Orren

Upvote 0
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it had been available for a year, just that I had ordered it from Amazon about a year ago and it had finally been completed and shipped.

I have now read through the first three chapters and have to agree that it is an excellent book. It gives the right amount of detail and hands on examples. I really like the approach of starting with the simple and working to the more complex. This is different than many manuals that give you a chapter or two of basics and then have you jump around. One method is not necessarily better than the other but, this way works better for me. I look forward to the journey.

Upvote 0
I just received this this book from Amazon. I was reading through the first couple chapters when I found that pages from another book (a math textbook as near as I can tell) are randomly inserted between pages 129 and 176. I could ignore the math stuff, but those pages take the place of the pages which should be there. The book--this copy, at least--is unusable in this condition.

I'll be calling the publisher today to see if this is an isolated problem or if it effects all the books in that printing run. It's a pity because the book is informative and well written.

Jim

Upvote 0
Jim, I have just found those pages too. So,it is not an isolated instance. Please let me know what the publishers says. Thanks. Larry

Upvote 0
Same here.

Funny to think that while initially flipping through the pages I considered that the math pages were part of the description of synthesis and as well as home work assignments. :eeek:

The book is extremely well written and very informative. But I'd also like to hear the publisher's response as in how to receive an intact book as the math pages do replace the author's text.

Upvote 0
Response from the Publisher

I thought I would go ahead and call Cengage myself as I found 4 seperate sections in chapter 8 where the wrong pages were substituted. Here is what they told me - "As I had purchased from Amazon, then I needed to address this through Amazon and there was nothing they could do." So much for customer service.

I expect if you purchased directly from the publisher, then you could get them to send you a replacement.

Next step for me is to contact Amazon. Larry

Upvote 0
I, too, called Cengage. They didn't care as I had bought from Amazon.

Amazon is happy to send me a new copy and will send me a shipping label to return the original copy. To those who have copies with this problem, are the errant pages between 129 and 176? If so, the whole print run is probably defective. A shame because, as we've all said, the book seems really quite useful.

Jim

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Being as I represent the publisher here, I suppose I should chime in. :)

Cengage is an academic publisher, and uses academic printers. For some amazing reason, the posted a child's matchbook instead of chapter 8 of this book. It's not a Cengage error-it's purely the printer. But still, it's embarrassing. There used to be a day in which companies would order a "blue-line" copy to make sure that the printer didn't screw anything up. But in the rush to get books to market (it adds a couple weeks to the production time) and lower the production costs nobody does that anymore. This is the very first time I've ever seen an error like this...but man, it sucks.

So we're trying to make it right:

First of all, everyone go here and download a PDF of the correct text for free:
http://www.delmarlearning.com/companions/index.asp?isbn=159863948X

We are also reprinting the physical book, shipping it to our retailers, and you'll be able to return your copy for a complete, reprinted copy. I believe that the reprint will be in our warehouses on 1/9.

If you're retailer gives you flack, you'll be able to call us and our customer service reps should give you one.

Sorry all! The book is still awesome, BTW. :)

Orren

Upvote 0
Followup

1. As per Jim's note, Amazon did send me an email with a free shipping label. I hope the new copy they send is a corrected one.

2. Orren, thanks for the info. When I click on the link, I don't get to a PDF, just a CENGAGE page to buy the book. Am I missing something. I would like to see the PDF.

Larry

Upvote 0
1. As per Jim's note, Amazon did send me an email with a free shipping label. I hope the new copy they send is a corrected one.

Don't send your book back until after 1/9; Amazon should have destroyed all their copies and they should only send you back one after they get the corrected copies. However...why tempt fate, right?

2. Orren, thanks for the info. When I click on the link, I don't get to a PDF, just a CENGAGE page to buy the book. Am I missing something. I would like to see the PDF.

In the left sidebar, there is a link with the text "related files"-click that.
This is the more direct link:
http://www.delmarlearning.com/companions/content/159863948X/RelatedFiles/index.asp?isbn=159863948X

Orren

Upvote 0
Orren,

Your swift action here is much appreciated. :thmbup:

The whole world is spinning out of control to get somewhere faster... It makes no sense.

This situation in no way diminishes my appreciation for this valuable addition to my essential Logic resources library.

Best regards,

WV

Upvote 0
Thanks,

Yes, great. Got the pdf. Thanks. I also want to add my view that it is a great book. I have learned a great deal by getting though the first 7 chapters. I highly recommend to anyone wanting to dig deeper into the synths.

Upvote 0
Hey all, if you haven't guessed from my handle, I'm the author of the book and Orren's co-author on the last two Logic Pro Power books. I don't pop into the LUG often enough, but when I did tonight I saw this thread and figured I should hop on in....

Thanks for all the good words about the book! Thanks especially for those who preordered and waited and waited for it to arrive. To say it took longer than anticipated would be a bit of an understatement but thankfully it seems that the book is working for you folks, and that's very exciting for me.

If any of you find anything other than math homework in the book that you have questions about, anything you need clarified or anything that slipped through that doesn't make sense, feel free to email me at logic [at} kevinanker daught net.

Upvote 0
Don't send your book back until after 1/9; Amazon should have destroyed all their copies and they should only send you back one after they get the corrected copies. However...why tempt fate, right?

I just received a fresh replacement book from Amazon, sent on the 19th, and I'm once again looking at "Student Activity" math stuff in chapter 8 (pages 178-179, 181, 184-185, etc.). I gave this book to a friend as a Christmas gift, and he already has the PDF update, but I'd prefer to make the book whole if I can. Any updates on an update?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I didn't want to be disappointed/pissed with an Amazon replacment that had the wrong pages. So, I went for the Kindle/iPad version (as Noted on a separate post). it looks fine.

Upvote 0
The Kindle (Touch) is indeed getting into the price range where it's a "might as well own one" purchase. Maybe next Christmas we'll all have one and I'll gift the e-book version. :)

Upvote 0

I just received a fresh replacement book from Amazon, sent on the 19th, and I'm once again looking at "Student Activity" math stuff in chapter 8 (pages 178-179, 181, 184-185, etc.). I gave this book to a friend as a Christmas gift, and he already has the PDF update, but I'd prefer to make the book whole if I can. Any updates on an update?

Last week, I just got word that the first "review copy" of the reprint came in our office-it arrived on the 19th. So its now in our warehouse, Amazon can get them anytime, and it's up to Amazon when they replace the defective printing with the new printing. So I'd say that theoretically, now all copies should be replaced with reprints...but I can't speak for Amazon, unfortunately.

Orren

Upvote 0
Thanks, Orren! I just heard back from Amazon in the past few minutes.

I'm so sorry to hear the replacement book had the same problem as your first order. This usually doesn't happen. Since it's likely another replacement would arrive , I won't trouble you with another replacement.

Instead, I've requested a full refund to.... Please go ahead and return the defective item--we'll pay for return shipping.

While we investigate the problems you experienced, the "Using Logic Pro's Synthesizers" will be unavailable for purchase from Amazon.com. However, you may be able to purchase it from other marketplace sellers on the Amazon.com website. If you see this item offered by Amazon.com again in the future, you'll know we've fixed the problem.

I'd almost prefer recycling the book to be sure, but it's on the way back. The last thing I'd want to do is buy it from a marketplace seller-their return procedures likely aren't as nice. So we'll wait until Amazon offers it again. Hopefully, someone there is paying attention this time.

And I'll ask my gift recipient if he'd prefer the Kindle version instead. :D

Upvote 0
Back