1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Bouncing offline - improved since Logic 7?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Wade, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Wade

Wade New Member

Just moved from L7 to L9.

Back on the old mail-based Logic newsgroup, it was anecdotally agreed that bouncing offline was unreliable in Logic 7. IE - Parts of your song could come out sounding different, or be absent. I experienced a little of this myself and never trusted an offline bounce (at least of a whole song) after that.

How is offline bounce's reliability under L9? Has anyone investigated it carefully, or is there someone who uses it all the time without issue who can comment on it? Thanks.

3. bobdemaa

bobdemaa Senior member

I always bounce offline. Always. unless I am running the mix or something through outboard gear... I've never run into an issue because of it.

I remember checking offline bounces vs realtime back with L8. The files phase canceled perfectly.

4. Wade

Wade New Member

That sounds pretty confident ;) Thanks.

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

FWIW, I haven't had any problems with it either.

6. mbesq

mbesq New Member

I've found that you still can't trust it, primarily when 3d party plugins are involved, or anything other than basic automation.
    If you only use Logic plugins it seems more reliable.

7. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Would you care to be more specific/go into more detail? Why do you find that offline bouncing can't be trusted, and specifically, which 3rd party plugins might be causing problems?

kind regards

Mark

8. Jonathan Stapleton

Jonathan Stapleton New Member

I can jump in and be a little more specific: certainly in Logic 8 I would occasionally have problems with the timing of automation (e.g. mute/unmutes, sends, etc. where the timing is critical and there is "visual" latency in the Arrange - by which I mean the playhead relative to the waveforms is later than what you are hearing); when bouncing in realtime this was never an issue, but when bouncing offline they would be miscued.

I've not tried in Logic 9, working on the basis that if I've got to listen to the offline bounce afterwards to check that all the automation cues work where they're supposed to, I might as well listen to it while it's bouncing!

My 2 groszy...

9. mbesq

mbesq New Member

I haven't kept very good track of what are the problem plugins, sorry.

Flux Epure was definitely one of them, but I called them, and they fixed it.

Right now the main offender is probably Sound Toys. I like the decapitator and it often makes a blip just before the region. This is a known bug, but still means that you can't trust your offline bounces.

URS Channelstrip Pro also gave me grief where I automated a change in the threshold of the compressor and the mix all went to hell at that point. Bouncing in real time totally eliminated the problem.

I've also had trouble where I automate a low pass cutoff and it doesn't chase correctly in an offline bounce, quite consistently by the way.

best

Michael

10. fedtho

fedtho New Member

Really interesting thread.

I'm still on L7 and a Powermac Quad G5...

I've had surprises with offline bouncing from time to time. I did wonder if complex automations where causing problems, but I never thought of the non-Logic-plugins as a possible source - probably because I'm using Logic plugins almost exclusively...!
    I do have plugins from OHMFORCE though, and still have to find time to get around recording automation for them at all (or more than one parameter...)

I don't have the means to upgrade my hardware in order to upgrade to L8 or L9, so I'm living with L7 for now. That's okay, though: it still does a pretty good job, and as long as I don't know too much about the great features I'm missing, I'll be happy ;)

cheers