Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Brand new 8 core - Stay at 10.6.4?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by grr88, Jun 10, 2012.

1. grr88

grr88 New Member

Just opened up a new box of Mac Pro today.
    Any known issues with 10.6.6 or should I just not fix what isn't "broke".
    I do know a new tower is rumored to be coming out soon but I have to get a project done and was in crash-hell - 2 crashes per hour. So I bought a "new" Mac with Snow Leopard on it.

The massive crashing issues began after taking the old dual-core up to Lion 10.7.4.
    So I went out and got a new 8 core Mac Pro. It comes with SL 10.6.4 on it. I'm now completely gun-shy about doing any incremental updates.
    Logic Pro 9.x (It's not installed yet - Can't recall -but it was the latest update)
    2 X 2.4 Quad Core Xeon
    3 of 2GB RAM + 3 of 2GB RAM = 12GB Triple Cannel mode
  3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Well, 10.6.8 is pretty good, and I actually find 10.7.4 to be stable as well. I would suspect that you had some other issue going on with your machine that the OS...

I have major composers using 10.7.4 and things are working out pretty well (other than Logic issues, like the fact that you can't use screen sets, due to Logic crashing when you change them all the time using numbers... a known bug, and the only real issue we are finding).
  4. charlie

charlie Senior member

Macpro user running OSX.6.8 w Logic Pro 9.7.1 running well... :thmbup:
    I am not moving beyond Snow Leopard on this machine for a variety of reasons and because I too follow the adage "don't fix what ain't broke."
    I would recommend going up to 10.6.8 for various fixes and patches that I think make it more stable than the earlier versions of Snow Leopard.
    Hope it works great for you!
  5. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

10.6.8 is very stable - one of the better OS version Apple has refined. I was obligated to update to Lion, and have had various problems, although none associated with Logic - EXCEPT - film project where I am switching screen sets all the time.......

I'm going to start a new thread on that - thanks for the info George!
  6. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

I'm running Logic 9.1.7 with OS 10.7.4 and haven't had any crashes at all changing screensets using number keys, which I do all the time. I use the number keys above the QWERTY section, not the number pad on the left.

To the original poster:
    Logic works just fine for me in 10.7.4
    I enjoy Lion for the its new features and only miss using a few Rosetta apps.
  7. EastWest Lurker

EastWest Lurker Senior member

I am running 10.7.4., mostly because I have to for the Logic clients I help and it is fine. Nor do I have any problem switching screensets by number keys.

That said, IMHO Lion brought nothing really useful to the table for what we composers do for a living other than iPhone /iPad /iPod /iTunes /Cloud stuff.
  8. grr88

grr88 New Member

Thanks heaps for all the quick replies. I was fine too in 10.7.3 and it all seemed to fall apart with the incremental update to 10.7.4 - but then I had also had my Mac Volume crash and replacing that may have set me up for the problems. I'm going to keep the 2-core running Lion for the almighty Cloud and use the new Mac on Snow Leopard for as long as possible as a dedicated Logic machine.

Thanks again all. Today's a day of installs for me. Everything from scratch!
    If only I could restore my Mouseworks for key commands. Seems its driver isn't available running in 64 bit. But that's another topic.
    By the way, I remember you George from years back. I think I was g-ray88 or some such back then. Is f-erenc still around? (spelling?). Also there was a character who was eventually banned who was a constant source of amusement. All this was perhaps in the late 90s?