1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Bus and Effects Question

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by LookToWindward, May 24, 2013.

1. LookToWindward

LookToWindward New Member

Hi,

I've been playing around with Busses in Logic Pro 9 and I'm getting the hang of it!

One thing I'm not sure about and I can't seem to find a direct answer anywhere.

Instrument track:

Effects: None.
    Input: Real or software instrument.
    Output: "Stereo Out".
    Sends: Bus 10.

Bus 10:
    Effects: EQ, Reverb, Delay etc.
    Input: Bus 10.
    Output: "Stereo Out"

As I understand it, in this case, the signal from the Instrument Track is sent to the Stereo Out taking into account the Fader Level and to Bus 10 taking into account the rotary knob next to the Send Button (what is the name of this knob?). Bus 10 then applies the Effects and sends it to "Stereo Out" which is then mixed in with the dry signal going straight to "Stereo Out". So:

Dry Signal---Effect--->Mixer---->}Stereo Out.
    Dry Signal------------>Mixer---->}Stereo Out.

Do I understand what is going on correctly?

If so, I have a couple of related questions. If I change Instrument settings so it reads:

Effects: None.
    Input: Real or software instrument).
    Output: Bus 10.
    Sends: Bus 10. *****Instead of "Stereo Out"

Bus 10:
    Effects: EQ, Reverb, Delay etc.
    Input: Bus 10.
    Output: "Stereo Out"

Does this have the same effect? Or does this result in:

Thanks a lot
    All the Best
    Dave

3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

Your first scenario is correct (the second just duplicates the paths).
    In your first scenario you duplicate a signal path via the send so you have a Dry path directly routed to the Master and Wet path which is routed to the Master as well. You use the send knob to adjust the Dry/Wet ratio.
    You can use two "Send" modes for the channel strip send knob:
    1. The Default is "Post". In this send mode the Dry/Wet ratio is parallel - i.e if you turn down the channel Volume then the Send level will decrease as well and vice versa.
    2. If you set the send knob to "Pre" you can control both paths (Dry & Wet) independently. For example if you turn down the Volume full down to "Inf" you will stop the Dry path while the Send path will feed the Aux etc.
    Regards,
    A.G

BTW. Your second scenario can be used as well with slight update. For example if you want to group the routing of a few instruments and process them using only one Aux you just set the Instruments outputs to "Bus 10" for example (it is not necessary to make Send knobs to that Bus which will duplicate the signal).

4. LookToWindward

LookToWindward New Member

Hi,

Thanks a lot! The part I was missing was:

You use the send knob to adjust the Dry/Wet ratio.

So, if I understand correctly, if I have the fader at 0 and the send knob at 0, then this would result in a 50/50 mix?

I have the need to have Instrument Groups send to different Outputs (Out1, Out2, Out3, etc) with effects applied, but I'd like to be able have the dry mix for that group available too.

So, if there are a number of keyboard instruments KB1, KB2, KB, etc. I'd output these to "KBMix1" which in turn would output them to (say) Out3, how would I be able to easily get the dry mix? Would I need to create another Aux-Channel Layer, as is:

KB1, KB2, KB3 etc Output to "KBMix1Dry" which in Outputs it to "Out3" and also "Sends" it to "KBMixWet" which in turn Outputs to "Out3" ?

Or is there a better/easier way?

Thanks again.
    All the Best
    Dave

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi Dave,

Instrument Group A
    Output to Out 1
    Sends set to Aux/Bus 1 (place effects on Aux/Bus 1)
    Aux/Bus 1 outputs to Out 1

So now you have your mixed signal arriving at Out 1. if you want the dry signal only, mute Aux/Bus 1

Instrument Group B
    Outputs to Output 2
    Sends set to Aux/Bus 2 (place effects on Aux/Bus 2)
    Aux/Bus 2 outputs to Out 2

So now you have your mixed signal for your second instrument group arriving at Out 2. if you want the dry signal only, mute Aux/Bus 2

Repeat for additional instrument groups as needed. Does that work for you?

6. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

I see, you want to split out the system Aux channel strip FXs and the original "Dry" thru different Main Outputs 1-2,3-4, etc.

1. To split out the Main Aux FX channel you have to create 3 Sends on it and set them to 0dB. For example - if your system FX channel is Aux 1 (with EQ,Delay,Reverb inserts on it) you create 3 sends on that Aux channel set to say - Bus10, Bus,11, Bus12.
    After that you set the additional Auxes (10,11,12) outputs as follows: Aux10->Out1, Aux11->Out2, Aux12->Out3 etc.
    Note: In this example the main FX "wet" channel (Aux1) behaves as FX & wet path splitter so you have to set its Out to "No Output" !

2. To split out the "Dry" path outgoing from the Instrument channel strips you will need a "Dry SUM" Aux or Auxes (if want to use groups). It is supposed that the Instruments main Send FX are set to Bus 1 (regarding the upper example).
    So, you can set the Instrument Output(s) to say Bus/Aux2 which will behave as a "Dry SUM Path" splitter. Create 3 sends on that "Dry SUM" Aux2 (set to say Bus20, 21, 22) and set the send knobs to 0dB. Set the Aux2 output to "No Output" and assign the Aux 20, 21, 22 respectively the Main Out 1, 2, 3 etc.

You can group the FX Aux channels 10,11,12 to use them as one fader wet level balance (same with Aus 20,21,22 - as dry global balance).
    Regards,
    A.G