Logic Pro (X) Can Anybody Move Objects in Environment

HKC

Logician
Hi
Just got back from my holiday to discover that X is out. I am trying to get the hang of it now and I have come across a strange thing.
I usually set up my mixer in the environment rather than using the "Mixer". I do use both but I find that there are situations where the environment one is better.
My question is "can anybody move audio objects in the environment" and "can you only have one horizontal row now and no longer any verticals".
When I try to move an objects it moves quite strangely and although I can place an object below the first row then it doesn't open up more room like it used to.
Just making sure I'm not sending a bug to Apple which turns out to be me not doing things correctly.

All the Best
Henrik

I think most of the people who have joined in here has send a message to Apple.
I was the one who started this thread and in the beginning I thought I was the only one experiencing it. Then I discovered that the bug is only there when you exceed the number of objects that can fit within the window to make and after posting that everybody could replicate it.
If Apple hasn't tested it with many objects then they wouldn't have noticed it. Otherwise I agree, it's difficult to miss.....

Upvote 0
I just found a quick fix for this bug, though it's not ideal:

As we know, if you move an Environment object around, it may fly off into the distance and it's impossible to move it back again.

Well, just go to the local [Options] menu, select [Clean up] then [Align objects]

That will get them back into view quickly.

Upvote 0
A good idea Colin, but one in which two lines of icons is not possible, which is what I'm complaining about.

Ideally, a set of 24 Audio and Aux tracks, below which is a set of AudioInstrument, Busses and Master Outs is preferable to see all icons on one screen (always assuming that you have the Arrange and Environment pages always open, using two large monitors). This is my preferred method of working, with the ability to adjust track levels and plug-ins on the Environment page, and the song arrangement on the Arrange page also readily accessible. MIDI notes per track can be seen, and edited, to the right of the Arrange page.

Maybe next update......

Upvote 0
Graeme: I fully agree.

My suggestion was merely a quick fix to retrieve objects that have vanished over the horizon. This definitely remains a nasty bug.

Upvote 0
In 9 I used to use the environment as the mixer on a second display.... I'd line up my audio on the top row and the midi instruments on the bottom. I miss this with the new mixer..... it's a waste of half of my 2nd large display.... I welcome any suggestions. Feel free to call me an idiot too.

Upvote 0
I feel truly sad to read about that problems but at the same time,
I have to share that the more it goes the less i use the environment, especially since I sampled my vintage keyboards with the redmatica software suite, and now that we even have arpeggiators and midi effects at the reach of your fingertip any second, I feel I can live without it nowadays or almost ...
Now if at least, it still works in text mode so that I can plug my multis for my vintage midi external sound modules to be user friendly again, it is not that bad to me ?

@HKC: may I ask what is that you miss in the mixer and that is not available similarly in the main window bottom view (X key) ?

Upvote 0
Has anyone who is experiencing this issue tried trashing prefs?

Users/yourname/library/preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Just did that , then from scratch quickly duplicated 12 multis until it gets out of the window (horizontal scrolling is needed)
then i get the same bug ...

Upvote 0
Mark,

It works to an extent - all icons are nicely lined up in two rows. As soon as you try to rearrange any of the channel strips, however, the bug reappears.

I'll work in 9 until we aren't beta testing anymore.....

Best from London UK

Upvote 0
Back