1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can changing a hard drive affect logic's sound?

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by rainguitar, Jan 8, 2011.

1. rainguitar

rainguitar Member

Hi,

I just bought a Lacie d2 Quadra hard drive for my system that I intend to use as my time machine backup drive. As I write this it is backing up my whole system via firewire 800 diasy-chained to the G tech firewire 800 drive that I use for Logic. I decided to do some work in Logic while this was going on and I was greeted with serious sound distortion. I changed applications and discovered that the distortion is pretty much system wide. Changing the settings on my apogee control panel has no effect. Can an external hard drive cause this? I bought the Lacie d2 quadra drive because it was supposed to be extremely quiet.

3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

A couple of things to look at:

How many devices are on the port?
    How long are the total cable lengths between all devices.
    What is the order of the devices
    What is your Logic I/O buffer size

4. slirak

slirak Member

Is your audio interface a Firewire device? Is it hooked up to the same FW interface as your hard drives? Your mileage may vary, but that can certainly introduce clicks'n'pops, especially if the drive's busy.

5. charlie

charlie Senior member

I have experienced something similar with my Apogee Duet. One major difference between our set-ups is that my Logic drive is an internal eSata so, my Firewire bus is not being taxed.
    I noticed that system wide audio was distorting as if going thru a "bit-Crusher" plug-in.
    Unplugging/re-connecting my Apogee Duet seemed to reset the it and cleared up the issue. Also, re-starting the computer reset it as well, (which doesn't help you as you are doing a Time-Machine back-up at the same time.)
    I might suggest to not hook up the TM drive when you want to use Logic, if that works for you.

6. rainguitar

rainguitar Member

I solved the problem--after I did the massive TM backup via firewire 800--by simply using usb from then on. Everything is fine now but I wish I'd just bought a straight usb drive. Would have been cheaper. Live and learn I guess.