Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Can I 'unquantize' a vocal track?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Seán O'Connell, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Seán O'Connell

Seán O'Connell New Member

What I mean is, I want to double-track my vocals but because they are tricky I don't want to start rerecording them, but instead copy them onto another track and then 'loosen' or 'unquantize' the copied track for a natural feel. I know this used to be possible in Garageband - can I do it with Logic?
    Many thanks, Seán
  3. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

If the original is quantized - then yes you can "unquantize" the copy or quantize it less or "loosen" to whatever degree you want.
    Option drag the track header with the vocals down a track - this makes the copy. turn quantization off in the region inspector - should be fully natural.
  4. Seán O'Connell

Seán O'Connell New Member

Thank-you for your reply. Unfortunately the original isn't quantized so I can't unquantize it. Basically I want to create another track but without re-recording it. I could quantize one of the two versions, which has slightly the effect I'm after, except I've found that on certain bits, it can't cope with fastly sung phrases – and altering the 8, 16, 32 etc setting doesn't cure it. I guess I'll just have to re-record a second vox track but for future use, I'd love to know if there was a facility they used to refer to as ADT (Automatic Double Tracking), which created that variation to simulate a newly sung second vocal. Thanks once again.
  5. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Yes you can do this, you could either:

• Split into many different regions either manually or with strip silence function in Project Audio >Options). I don't think humanise in the event list (Functions menu > Transform) is available for audio regions (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Then move the regions a bit to suit.
    • Use Flex to adjust words/phrases in time.
    You could also do stuff with tuning up or down a bit, either flex pitch, pitch plugin or using Sample editor Functions > Time & Pitch machine

This last method is destructive so copy the actual audio file, not just the region.

I'd be doubtful about doing this being as good as just double tracking.
  6. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member