1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Can Midi Draw Control Plugin Parameters?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by dimensionaldelay, Jul 27, 2015.

1. dimensionaldelay

dimensionaldelay New Member

Hi Everyone!

I remember that in previous versions of Logic it was possible to control the parameters of plugins (whether Logic plugins or third party plugins) using HyperDraw (now known as Midi Draw).

But I see no way to do this using version X, unless the control numbers for the parameters in question are known to the users. For example:

Can I use Midi Draw to control the cutoff in the ES 2? Or to control the feedback in Logic's tape delay plugin? Or to control the various parameters of an Omnisphere patch?

Many Thanks!

-N

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

If you turn on MIDI Draw and automation, you can work like in the track automation with the same parameter selection in the track header.

If a plugin allows to set controllers (like the ES2 in it's matrix) you can set the controller and use the number in MIDI Draw.

4. EdgarRothermich

EdgarRothermich Senior member

You can view and edit MIDI Draw even when disabling the View Automation button.

Tracks Window (MIDI Draw)
    The MIDI Draw is displayed on the Regions in the Tracks Window by selecting MIDI Draw in the local View Menu and then use the Autodefine command (command+Y) to toggle through the existing Automation Parameters (MIDI Events and Fader Events).

Piano Roll (MIDI Draw)
    You can also view and edit any Fader Events (Automation Parameter) stored in a Region via Region Automation directly in the Piano Roll's MIDI Draw Area. The MIDI Draw Menu doesn't display those Fader Events to select, but you can use again the Autodefine command, this time from he local View Menu in the Piano Roll (or cmd+Y, or the arrow button called the "Next Setting Button")

[​IMG]

I explain all those slightly confusing "Track Automation vs. Region Automation vs. MIDI Draw" in the extensive Automation chapter of my Logic manual "Logic Pro X - The Details"

5. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

I have to correct myself:
    It is possible as I sayed, but involves one track automation converted to region automation. Basically it works, but is inconvenient or confusing under certain circumstances. Nor really recommended, maybe it should not work anyway (bug?).

6. EdgarRothermich

EdgarRothermich Senior member

I agree that it is confusing, especially if Logic changes the terminology and functionality with every .dot update.
    However, I don't see it as inconvenient, once you get the hang of it. Region Automation and MIDI Draw is an option and if you don't need it (or know about it), then it is not in the way. If you know about it, then it offers additional options that might enhance your workflow.

I would summarize it that way:
    • Region Automation provides an option to store Automation Data inside Region(i.e, for better movability)
    • MIDI Draw is a tool to make Region Automation data visible and edit it graphically (either in the Piano Roll or directly on the Tack Lane) without having Automation View visible.