1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Can't hear an v-instrument unless its Record-enabled??

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by xmiinc, Jun 24, 2012.

1. xmiinc

xmiinc Member

Can this be right? I can only hear a virtual instrument when its record-enabled? What if I just want to play an instrument against an existing track for the benefit of a vocalist but without wanting to record my instrument? Is L9 really forcing me into Record just to hear something?

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Not sure what you are referring to. Software Instrument tracks do not have a record enable button. The mere act of selecting them puts them in Record Ready mode. All you need to do is select the track and play.

Attached Files:

4. xmiinc

xmiinc Member

Odd, though I did discover that selecting a sw-instrument track is an Important Thing even after its been instantiated and config'd, mine does indeed have a 'Record Ready' button on it? [Edit: I mean in the Arrange window] That's what I meant by record-enable, and it does kick into action as such upon selection. Sigh, coming from SVP, L9 has its idiosyncrasies...but then I guess every DAW does, right? I'm also having trouble doing the beat-mapping equivalent with pre-existing MIDI. It used be as simple as selecting two or more events to represent (and generate) a project tempo. I haven't found anything simple that does the same in L9. Am I missing something?

5. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

When you press the Play button, Logic does not record on record-enabled tracks.
    You have to actually hit the Record button in the transportation bar to actually record the record-enabled track(s).
    This is to permit discrete selection of the track(s) you wish to record on, while the other tracks (not record-enabled) would only be in playback mode during such recording.
    Only the record-enabled virtual-instrument/MIDI track(s) will respond to your MIDI controller (either in playback or record-enabled modes); and they would respond according to the parameters set in the track inspector among other things. This permits, among other things, to play unison an EXS24 string patch from track 1 and an EVP88 piano patch from track 2 (simultaneously)...
    Interesting to try, set a track with various effect for your vocalist...
    Trust me you will content the most picky vocalist!
    It would also be worthwhile to familiarize yourself with the different recording modes Logic offers (and there are many ones!)... And while you are "cracking the books", have a look at the Track Header Configuration section...

6. daveyboy

daveyboy Senior member

Also, rent the invaluable videos at groove3.com (and checkout Eli's vids while you're there).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

I do also highly recommend the groove3.com tutorials. Those made by Eli are especially well crafted!

8. Eli

Eli Senior member

How else will Logic know which instrument you want to play? Suppose you have half a dozen Software Instruments loaded in, what criteria would Logic use to know which one you want to play?

Beat mapping involves more than selecting multiple events. Logic has to be given information pertaining to where those events fall in relation to bars and beats. And then it calculates tempo changes based on this. That's the basic concept behind Beat mapping. Beat mapping isn't meant for setting a project tempo, it's meant for creating a tempo map to make your parts fit the bars and beats you define.

If you just want to calculate a static project tempo, select your region, select how many bars long it is supposed to be in the bar ruler, and then use the Tempo Menu command (from under the Global Options menu) Adjust Tempo Using Region Length and Locators.

Also: Thanks Dave and Atlas for the kind words!

9. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

Why not creating a groove template from the pre-existing MIDI (track) and set the other MIDI tracks to that quantize groove template?
    This is an easy (couple of clicks) procedure...
    :rolleyes:

10. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

Highly deserved reputation!
    :thmbup: