Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Can't shuttle video track forward

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Wade, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Wade

Wade New Member

Hi. I'm using Logic's video track features for the first time to score a short film.

My problem is this - I've imported the film into the video track, but it doesn't seem to shuttle properly with the arrow keys. The video window is free floating and has focus, but when I press right arrow, I might move 1 frame forward, or 0 frames, and a 2nd or further press is guaranteed not to move it at all.

But if I press left arrow, it has no problem stepping back a frame. Though every now and then, it steps back 2 frames.

The original film was an mp4 at 24 fps, which was sluggish in the video track. To make it easier for the hard drive to read it, I converted it to DV PAL (which would be 25fps normally, but I've told Logic I wanna move at 24fps in the Synchronisation prefs)

Anyone have any advice about whether the conversion is likely to be the source of my shuttle problems? (it plays fine, just can't be moved forward 1 frame at a time - and sometimes moves back 2 when I hit left arrow instead of 1)

If so, what are some good conversion ideas?

I thought new Macs and Logic Studio came with Quicktime Pro, but I couldn't see any useful conversion tools in my Quicktime Player. I used Compressor to get the file to DV.

3. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

That used to work well, but now it only seems to work when a Logic Window is in focus

Key Commands:

Forward One Frame
    Rewind One Frame

make sure they are set to the arrows or whatever you want.

So basically you move Logic and thew video follows, no longer the other way round.
  4. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Did you try the video as DV? that works best, though the file size tends to be pretty big. w

We use a separate drive for Movie playback (FW 800), another for samples (2 actually, internal) and 1 for record (Internal), plus the system drive (Internal), and have no issues with things choking.
  5. Wade

Wade New Member

Thanks Pete, those key assignments did the trick.

George, yeah, I had converted it to DV Pal, and that did fix the speed issue. MP4s make Logic a bit sluggish.