1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 can't understand where the drums are coming from

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by edurbrow, Sep 20, 2010.

1. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

Was working with my daughter trying to help her make a demo using loops. She used a piano loop and I can solo that loop and it solos properly as does her voice. But when it is not soloed, there are drums sounding. I cannot figure out where they are coming from! We used the songwriter template and there is a Studio Tight Kit track. This is playing. I can see it in the meters. There are no regions at all in the track. So how is this sounding? Is there a way that she could have accidentally dragged a loop into the track and made it invisible?
  3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

I would suggest having a look in the audio environment layer and see if there is an EXS 24 instance set to solo safe.

kind regards

4. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Senior member

In addition to what Mark said, I'd also check it's not an instance of Ultrabeat, with the sequencer switched on.

That would produce sound even when there are no regions.

I just realised you might not know what I'm on about, so here's something quick to try:
    Save your session.
    Highlight the track with the kit on and it double-click the instrument insert.(Underneath 'I/O' in the channel strip.)
    (This should open the plug in, which I'm guessing is Ultrabeat.)
    Towards the bottom left of the Ultrabeat plug-in is a little power button, which may be glowing blue (to signify 'on') - if so, click it to switch it off.

Playback the session and see if it's still producing drums.

If not you've found the culprit.

If the instrument is not Ultrabeat, I'd just remove the whole track by highlighting it and pressing delete.
  5. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

Thanks. That was it. Another thing I have to read up on.

Things like that happen. Logic is an incredible program but there are situations a beginner gets in that are not covered in the manual and don't make any sense. When I first got the program I kept clicking at the top of the window trying to drag the wiper backwards and I kept getting this green bar with stripes in it, which was the loop bar backwards (no idea what that is good for). I still sometimes do this, but now I know what it is.

My daughter really got creative using loops and was able to make 3 songs and is working on 2 more in a day and a half. She has really picked up on it. I showed her where a few things are and how they worked and she just went to town.
    Thanks again.
  6. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Good call!

kind regards

7. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

One other thing to consider is that you could be using an older version of Garageband, and when it imports into Logic Pro 9, it represents what was a Logic 7 song.

Logic 7 songs often do not import properly, with things becoming unglued, buses that don't work sometimes, among other issues.

If you find this type of thing happening, you might want to check for that. The best solution is to get the most current version of Garageband/iLife.
  8. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Senior member

Glad to help someone else for once. :D

I believe it works in reverse from the loop function, that is to say that the selected area is *not* played, so the SPL skips past it.

Not a feature I use often, if ever, right enough.