Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Capture Recording - would be nice if it worked when playback is stopped

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Mused, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Mused

Mused New Member

I'm having no success with this feature, which is a pity because it's a great idea in principle. However I have been jamming away in LPX and then pressed it, hoping to capture what I was playing, and invariably it seems to just capture the last note or two. What's going on? Tracktion 6 has a very similar feature and it works fine the way I have described, is there an extra step I need to carry out, or hidden option somewhere, in LPX, to make this work properly?

3. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Was the play head stopped or moving when you were jamming?

4. Mused

Mused New Member

Stopped - I thought the whole point was that you wouldn't need to press record in advance, so why should you have to press play? Often I start playing an instrument and jam around while flicking through settings and something musical just emerges that I wish I had remembered to press record beforehand but when you are 'in the moment' sometimes you don't and doing so breaks the spontaneity. If I have to remember to press play just so that capture can work I might as well just press record too.

5. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Well.... Lol if you are not playing with any recorded material then yea!!! Press record.
    However if you have recorded material and you are practicing with it to get ready for when you do record and happen to have this fantastic take during practice - this is when it is very handy.... Or if you cycle a few bars to keep practicing the same few measures over and over and nail it..... You can capture record it!
    It has its place and can be very useful IMHO.

6. Mused

Mused New Member

It would be very useful if it worked. Having to press play first though before I start jamming seems absurd, the whole point is to provide me with the means to capture my jamming if I have not remembered to press any buttons beforehand.

7. Mused

Mused New Member

OK so this seems to explain how I think it should work:

http://logic-pro-expert.com/logic-p...gic-pro-is-always-listening.html#.Vfs-Rs7WpzM

That's exactly what I expected it to do, but it's not. I do this all the time, I open a plugin and start noodling on it and suddenly some musical ideas emerge but too late, I haven't pressed record. I was hoping the capture thing would be my safety net in such circumstances, I can't believe they would expect someone to have pressed play beforehand when they had forgotten to press record. If you remembered to press play in the first place you wouldn't have forgotten to press record.

8. Eli

Eli Senior member

If the transport is not moving, how is Logic supposed to know where to capture what you have played in relation to the bars and beats? Sorry to burst your bubble, but the "Capture as recording" function is designed to work while the transport is in play mode. End of story, it does not work any other way.

9. Mused

Mused New Member

It shouldn't need to, I can move it into position and trim it as required, it should just import what is in the buffer. That's how it works in other hosts like Tracktion that have this feature, they do not require you to initiate transport beforehand. As I said if I would remember to do that then why would I not just turn on record in the first place? This should be there for scenarios where you had not expected to be creating something worth recording but find during or after the event that there is something that you wish you had.

10. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

"Shouldn't" and "should" are totally useless words when talking about software. It works the way it works. Since we are (theoretically) smarter than software, we either adapt or choose different software.

11. Mused

Mused New Member

Really? That seems a rather passive way of seeing software development, surely users have a say in how software develops and should not simply accept it as it is, otherwise how is it going to become better at meeting our needs? I have identified that the current way that this function works does not suit my workflow very well, if I point it out to the Logic developers maybe they can improve it further? I'm not going to stop using it simply because one function isn't quite how I like it though, and I doubt I would get into the habit of running play every time I open a plugin instrument either, the whole idea just doesn't make sense to me (nor am I likely to always remember to do so anyway). In principle I don't really see why it has to require the transport to run, the same function in several other hosts works without play being activated, and it's possible Logic is recording data into its buffer regardless of whether play is enabled to technically this may be achievable too.

12. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

I would normally not comment as "I've been there done that" most of my life and frankly not worth the effort. So against my better judgement.....
    The question was asked - several people provided responses - we could debate all day long about what should and shouldn't be the capabilities of the software.... Hitting record before you start practicing and just letting it run seems pretty easy... You had to do that all kinds of recording devices in the past and no one every said..... Why can't the tape player just know when I want to record.
    Or one step further... all my instrument are plugged in to the computer and all ready to go, why can't Logic just know what I am playing in..... why do I have to turn the computer on.....
    At some points humans have to provide some guidance given all the option and flexibility software provides...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  13. Mused

Mused New Member

OK now we are going round in circles, the function is already there to capture recordings without having pressed record at the start so I don't see any point in debating whether the Logic developers should have put it there at all. Sometimes it just happens that I don't think to press record beforehand, this could be a useful safety net. Clearly enough other people involved in developing Logic have also encountered this issue for them to believe it would be useful to provide this function - as have developers of hosts like Tracktion that have a similar function. My question was just related to the fact that I couldn't get it to work as I had expected based on previous experiences of other hosts that have it. Now it turns out that is because in their wisdom the Logic developers made it dependent on having pressed play instead.

14. Mused

Mused New Member

On another note why do I keep getting email alerts every time someone posts in this thread when I have turned it off in preferences?

15. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I suppose you could argue that Logic should keep a buffer going without the transport moving, and let you put the audio region in place after the fact. But I have a few MIDI sources and a few dozen audio input possibilities. If I have the transport going, would logic keep track of all of them?

And... if the OP was actually getting a few notes recorded without engaging the transport, how did that work?

16. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

17. Mused

Mused New Member

Thanks

18. Mused

Mused New Member

I think it was just the last note I played, not sure why. I assume the buffer only works for the track that is armed, but I would not be surprised if it didn't buffer midi in the background even if transport is not running, or that this was happening even before they added this feature, from the description in the link I posted above it seems they are taking advantage of something that happens anyway (I presume though that there are limits on how much is buffered, maybe based on RAM or scratch space)..

19. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting changes/enhancements but when you say it "would be nice if it worked" when what you really mean is "it would be nice if it worked the way I want it to work", well that is two different things, isn't it?

20. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Indeed. I changed the title of the thread to reflect that.

kind regards

Mark

21. Mused

Mused New Member

When I wrote the title I thought it was broken as it wasn't working at all. I never dreamed it would require me to have transport running as it doesn't in other hosts with this function and even though now I know it still seems rather odd.

I hope they can make it work either way.