Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Changing loop keys

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Studio64, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Studio64

Studio64 New Member

Hey there, just upgraded from Logic 5 to 9 and loving every second of it. Could someone please tell me how to change the key of loops, as I have a recorded piece with a key change at bar 49 and can't seem to find away for the supporting loops to change key as well. Many thanks, Chris
  3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

You'll want to do this in the global transposition track - if you want to change all loops at that point simultaneously.

You'll want to save your project before you try this - it's been quirky in the past, although it may work well now. I believe it also will only affect loops that are in the project at the time the modulation is created. Loops added later are unaffected (but memory is rusty here).

Alternately you can transpose any loop by selecting it and going to the region parameter box and modifying it there.
  4. Studio64

Studio64 New Member

Thanks Doug for your speedy reply, have tried what you recommended, unfortunately doesn't work. I can change the main key of the song and that does change the key of the loops, but it doesn't change when I programme a key change at say bar 49. It just stays in the same key! Any other suggestions would be much appreciated, cheers Chris.
  5. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Gotta confess I don't use loops too often like you're doing.

Try putting the transpose node right at the same point as the start of the Apple Loop(s). Also make sure the transpose checkbox is selected in the region parameter. (And you are using loops that can be transposed, right?)

If you do a search either on this site or you'll find that this has been discussed before and I think a viable solution came out of it.
  6. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi Chris,

How are you using the loops in the Arrange Window exactly? Are you hitting looping them throughout (rather than using copies of them)? If so, this _might_ be the reason the transpositions aren't working as expected. Try instead to actually use a real copy of the loop where you have the change programmed rather than just a looped region running across the transposition location.

Logic might need to see a fresh instance of the loop rather than just a looped iteration of the original in order for it to be transposed. Like Doug, I don't do this type of thing often, and so am just speculating. But it's easy enough to try (I'm not in front of Logic right now).
  7. Studio64

Studio64 New Member

Thanks Doug & Eli, the transpose section in the checkbox through me a little! It only shows increments of plus or minus 12 - I didn't realise you could click on that number (lower or higher) and change the increments in semitones from there! I think Eli was right in that Logic needs a fresh insert of the loop to do the transposing from. Got it all happening now though, thanks very much for your help. Chris!
  8. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior member

Also for Apple Loops, you can transpose them in inspector.