1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 changing pronunciation in vocal track?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Edgold, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

Is it possible to change consonants in a vocal file? In one place the singer lapses into the Castillian-Spanish lisp which is inconsistent with the rest of the vocal. The pronunciation is supposed to be Colombian, and not classic Spanish.

Someone told me it ought to be possible to change it slightly but I'm not so sure.

In any case I may abandon that version altogether.

3. JuanTahnahmahrah

JuanTahnahmahrah Senior member

Have you tried adding a second track, and inserting some "S" or "Shh" sounds -- and then blending/mixing with original lisp? You could even use white noise as your source...with an EQ set to a very narrow "Q" ...tuned to taste.

4. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

Thanks Juan,

No, I didn't think of that. I'm not sure how I'd blend the two tracks except to record the consonants myself, erase the attacks and copy them from the second track to the first.

Is this what you meant?

(The words are "quizas entonces")

5. JuanTahnahmahrah

JuanTahnahmahrah Senior member

Never tried it myself, but I would start with both tracks active and then fiddle with crossfading both, maybe adding FX like delay or reverb to mask the overdub.

Needless to say, create a copy of your original before you start mucking up everything. Too bad your vocalist cannot just come back, or maybe use a surrogate.

I have a piece of hardware that allows me to change formants (make a woman sound like a man, or a man sound like a boy, etc.) in addition to pitch correction. It also has FX like growl that can put some zip into a flat performance. I think Melodyne has a program that can do something like that. Maybe someone familiar with that will chime in before too long.

Clean takes make life much simpler.

6. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I've already made a copy of the track at least and will duplicate the audio bin. I'll also file report back on what works best for me.

7. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

If the problem is exclusively changing 'th's to 's's or 'z's, you should be able to record the 's's and 'z's and overlay them (on a different track) in the right spots. I've had to do this a lot in voice-over work, and it's virtually impossible to distinguish one person's 's' from another's. That said, you may need to fiddle with it a bit to get level and placement to work perfectly.

If you have to change vowel sounds, I think you're beat.

8. Edgold

Edgold Senior member

Thanks Sonny,

The file in question is problematic (It won't, among other things, giving me the sample editors) and hasn't been acting right in many other ways. Anyway, someone else will probably record the vocal again as it really didn't suit Andy's voice, though he was kind enough to do it in the first place.

After successfully editing the voice in the Sonnet 73 file I don't want to have to go through that again, for the moment.

http://egoldmidincd.com/sonnet73.mp3