Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Channel strip presets - can this be done?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Antiphones, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Antiphones

Antiphones Member

I have a lot of plugins, most of them I use only for specific purposes now and then, but a handful of them I use hourly in various combinations.

What would be great is if I could have a handful of plugins which I could load into a channel strip, one at a time, as needed with a preset for each plugin already in place - without loosing existing plugins in the channel.

Loading a channel strip setting won't work for this because it will replace any existing plugins for that channel.

Here's an example of what I mean. I have a snare track, I've already loaded an HPF and a noise gate and set up the gate. Now I want to load a Waves compressor or EQ after the gate. So I trawl down into the menu in the next insert slot, then into the Audio Units menu then the Waves menu and the trawl through over 100 plugins to find the one I want. Then I have to go through and set various defaults on the plugin before I even start to tweak it for that particular snare.

Is there a way I could have a folder in the channel strip settings with my ten most used plugins each with the defaults set up and then load these as I need them - without - loosing whatever existing plugins I have in that channel?

If not, this would be a really time saving feature.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

How about saving your (10 most) prefered channelstrips settings and load them into an auxilary strip to which you route your original strip that you don't want to alter?
  4. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Or just name the favorites with a number or a "*" type thing so they ones you like come up in the first presets for a specific plug-in. That would take care you of "favorite presets on top" settings.

No way to change the order of plug-ins in the pop up list, it's based on manufacturers names.
  5. Antiphones

Antiphones Member

Thanks for your suggestions. I already use the alphabetical preset idea and that does help a bit.

The idea of having sets of commonly used plugins saved as settings is a good one, but I'd need to have about 10 potential plugins loaded each time for this to work. This is just because if I need a compressor or and EQ I have five or six choices of each, which will be different every time.

Like for example on a guitar I might use try an 1176 compressor and if that didn't get the result I wanted, I'd try a Neve or maybe something really clean like a C1. Same with EQ, I never really know for sure what's going to work until I've tried out several options. So this would mean me loading many potential plugins at once for the method you suggested. But... this might be a good solution... I'll try it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just thought there might be a way I didn't know about of adding single plugins to the channel strip or aux settings, which would not "erase" all existing plugins when loaded. But sounds like there isn't.

Thanks again.
  6. Eli

Eli Senior member

I'm not sure if this works with third party plug-ins, but it might be of use to you when using Logic plug-ins:

Establish the settings you want as a default when you open the plug-in up. Save the preset and name it "default". It will overwrite the factory default preset. And then whenever you call up that plug-in, those settings will load by default.

It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but still might hopefully be of some use to you.
  7. Antiphones

Antiphones Member

Thanks Eli, this is a useful tip. As you say it won't totally solve my problem but it will help. Thanks.